Question about Involuntary Mental Health Commitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

KattyMH

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
This is a case not just of involuntary commitment, otherwise, I would not be posting this. Let me relate the details.
Several months ago, we were out and came home to find a police car at our porch. A police woman came to commit my mom to a mental institution, which came as a surprise to both of us, despite the fact that I was supposedly the person who called.
Details came out later, that someone went to a judge to state that my mom was a danger to myself and, based on what I have heard, forged my signature on such documents. These details are not yet verified, as, according to one of the parish officials we would have to go to the coroner to verify this. I intend to do this soon.
At any rate, the staff at the institution were the one's who told my mom that someone claimed that I was stating my mom was a danger to herself, which was a lie. My mom also never stated that she had any serious intentions of committing suicide.
The psychiatrist that she saw while in the institution verified that she did not pose a danger to herself nor to others. We have the paperwork verifying the psychiatrist's statement.

The reason I'm posting this was that the mental institution that my mom was committed to sent a bill for $2,000. Assuming we have verification for the identity of the person or institution responsible for the fraudulent call or paperwork that had my mom committed is there any legal action we can take to hold them financially responsible for this bill?

Assuming we have verification for the identity of the person or institution responsible for the fraudulent call or paperwork that had my mom committed is there any legal action we can take to hold them financially responsible for this bill?

I doubt that the person who allegedly FORGED your name to committal documents can be held liable for the expenses your mother incurred.

Take a look at this investigative news article:

Louisiana law gives coroners mental health duties

LA law on involuntary committals is unique across the 50 states.

Take a look at the 2017 LA law authorizing coroners (who may NOT be a licensed physician) to commit individuals:

https://louisianasca.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-ACTS-SUMMARY-LCA-2-Credo.pdf

You might wish to seek a couple consultations with local family law attorneys to discuss your concerns.

Most attorneys offer such consultations free of charge or further obligation.

Assuming we have verification for the identity of the person or institution responsible for the fraudulent call or paperwork that had my mom committed is there any legal action we can take to hold them financially responsible for this bill?

One type of legal action is called a lawsuit.

Another type is called criminal prosecution.

Did you not know about such things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back