Question about internal interview privacy

D

docmike

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
So I recently had an internal job interview. When I applied, I followed company policy and informed my supervisor. She, in turn, informed our group director. Both were anxious to keep me on, but supportive of my pursuing the interview.

During the interview, I was asked about what work I had been doing. I described one particular project that upset the interviewer. The next day, the interviewer went to my director and complained about the project, demanding to know why we were doing it, etc.

So here's my question: did the interviewer violate my work place rights in some way by discussing what was said in an interview with my director without asking me? Seems like that would be a breach of interview confidentiality. I don't really care; I don't plan to use the answer to cause any trouble. But I am curious if that sort of thing is allowed or not. I would think not, but law isn't my specialty.

The interviewer did not violate criminal law. The interview-candidate relationship enjoys no special protection under general law. Just the opposite actually, the interviewer has the right to fact-check your statements because you provided the information voluntarily.

However, the person may have violated company policy. This would be a civil issue at best and only if you can prove that you were damaged in some manner (failing to get the job would not rise to that level). Theoretically, if you were damaged (demoted, fired, etc) for providing the answer about the project then you could sue the company because you had an expectation the interviewer would not violate company policy and keep the shared discussion confidential. It would be a difficult case to pursue and probably not worth the hassle.

My advice is understand the interviewer probably over stepped her authority by using the information outside the agreed confines, but she didn't violate the law. Shake your head at her, shrug your shoulders and realize sometimes people and life aren't fair. Good luck.

Company policies do not leave you civil remedies in court. You can't sue because the company didn't follow their policies. That is assuming they even had a policy which is extremely doubtful and would be highly unusual. Anything said in an interview should be at the very least fact checked. You chose that example voluntarily. You should have expected the interviewer to discuss your work with your current boss. That you revealed something objectionable is just coincidence.

Back