Question about Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

eg92901

I was divorced at the end of 1999. I recently remarried and she's been living with her boyfriend since then (since before we were divorced actually)

We divorced with out any support payments or agreements of any kind.

We had a lot of bills when we got divorced and I verbally agreed to pay them because I didn't want to deal with her anymore. I payed all of the bills off that were in her name except one of the accounts is only in her name and I've been paying on it. I called a few months ago and they told me it was closed and payed off but that's all they could say because it wasn't in my name.

She recently called me saying she still owes $450 on it and wants me to pay it. Am I still responsible for this?

She also just told me that she was audited and owed $200 to the governement, and they can't find her W2 for that year. (1998-1999.) She wants me to pay this also because I always did the taxes when we where together.

I want to cut all ties with her and the type of person she is she would try everything to get money out of me. Can she legally get any money from me after all this time? I want to just say, its not my problem but I'm afraid of what she'll try to do after that.

Thanks

Last edited:
It is questionable whether you are liable to pay since there was no "consideration" or anything of value (although consideration could be forbearance, such as if she agreed to leave the county and not call you again unless necessary) given by her in exchange for you to pay her bills.

I'm not saying that it means you are off the hook but it is possible that you may not be on the hook. Additionally, you have leverage here since they are bills in her name alone and not pursuant to your marriage. This is a small amount of money and the only thing she might be able to do that is worthwhile is sue in small claims court. This is not an easy task if you do not live in the same city or nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back