Question about credit card lawsuit and joint checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray

My jurisdiction is: GA

My jurisdiction is: Georgia, USA

Hello.
Until the end of May 2008 I owned my own business. I had purchased inventory using my American Express Credit card in December 2007.
I was making payments until we went out of business in May 2008.
My business closed and I had to stop making payments.
Since that time my wife has been supporting our family and I have been seeking employment in our town and the surrounding towns for the last 6 months.

AMEX is suing me for the unpaid balance of $3100.
They filed suit and we filed an answer so we would not lose by default.
The only other thing we have heard back from them is a Motion for Summary Judgment.
My question is this: Can they freeze our joint checking account?
My wife is the only one working or depositing money into the account.
There is no balance other than what her check directly deposited is each week.

Do I need to get her to open a separate account for her paychecks?
I do intend to pay the money I owe once I get employed, but if our checking account is frozen at this time, that means no groceries, no lights and no rent.

As we live check to check now, there is no imaginable way we can afford a lawyer.

was the business an llc? if it was and her name is not on it and the card was under the tax payer id number assigned to the business then anything personal with your wife is safe.

Sorry, I forgot to add, the business was an LLC solely in my name.

thank you for your replies!

If they garnish you and you are on her account they WILL take that $$ -- they dont care who is on the account with you or who put the $$ in there -- you name is on it and that is that--- Tell her to get her own checking account Yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back