question about a 4 wheeler accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJWings

My 34 year old son and my 10 year old grandson live with me (I'm 57); we rent a house. A few houses over my older son & his girlfriend & her 4 kids were living; but now they aren't together anymore But the kids still call me gram.. My son that lives with me bought his son a 4 wheeler. The other kids had permission from their mother that they could ride the 4 wheeler. The 13 year old fell off backwards while my grandson was driving & hurt her back--- but she said she was ok. She never said anything about hurting her head at all. Now almost a year later she is having headaches & seisures. We don't know yet what is causing them; But if they find out it could be from the fall off of the 4 wheeler, could my son or myself be held liable? My son paid for it & had it registered in his name. Thank you for any help.

Since you rent your home, and her uncle was responsible for the injury, he seems to be the only party at risk for any liability.

Unless she received medical treatment around the time of the incident and the back/head injuries were documented, it is highly unlikely there is any liability for you now.
Who is to say that she is not a clumsy kid and hasn't hit her head on a hundred other things in the last year. There is likely no way to prove that whatever her medical problem is was caused by falling off the 4-wheeler... which she had her mother's permission to be doing anyway. If she was wearing the proper safety gear then it is even better for you... but still, don't sweat it, and deny any claims that you have responsibility.

Doctor stated seisures are not related to the 4 wheeler accident. MRI showed one of her brain globes is just slightly smaller than the other & he says she was born like this. AND in some people seisure tendencies are with them at birth but deosn't show up till later in life. She was released from the hospital today & is doing ok. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back