Consumer Law, Warranties Q for a contract with a fitness center

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr_

I have being a national known fitness center memeber for several month. The plan I have with the fitness center is a family plan which mentions me, my wife and her friend as the memebers. wHEN we signed the contract, the family plan is indeed cheaper than we would have signed individually with that firm. Now my wife didn't goto this center that often so I droped her out of this contract. But unfortunately after this, my personal monthly fee jumps a lot. The reason for this as I was told is because I am an main member.

This really surprised me. I really didn't recall the agent told me there is such panelty when we signed the contract and I don't remember there are such items in the contract. So I called that company and one representative told me the contract indicates that I as a main member need to pay like that. I called a copy contract for my review. I found there is totally no such statements at all. Actually this contract didnt' say anything about how much need to pay even there is only one member stand.

I believe the sales agent and this company is lying to me. What is your opinion and what should I do?

This is my first post here, and I am an total naive in the law. Hope someone can give me some ideas ASAP.

Thanks, :confused:

It's difficult to say anything without seeing the contract. If the agent cannot point to where the fees jump if your wife withdraws then you should write a letter, certified return receipt, to this effect and send it to the company. You should pay the same amount you used to pay per month because you do not deny that is the amount you owe. Withholding the entire amount is not a good idea.

I'm guessing that the fee is in there somewhere. Unfortunately these clubs sell memberships like crazy and the consumer is not made aware of these options. This is why you typically have a 3 day cancellation policy in which you can also review your contract. Look through it once more and see if you can find the clause. Your remedies may only be paying the amount or simply keeping your wife in the club, if it's more worth it that way. Next time you will be forewarned to read the contract more carefully.

smr said:
I have being a national known fitness center memeber for several month. The plan I have with the fitness center is a family plan which mentions me, my wife and her friend as the memebers. wHEN we signed the contract, the family plan is indeed cheaper than we would have signed individually with that firm. Now my wife didn't goto this center that often so I droped her out of this contract. But unfortunately after this, my personal monthly fee jumps a lot. The reason for this as I was told is because I am an main member.

This really surprised me. I really didn't recall the agent told me there is such panelty when we signed the contract and I don't remember there are such items in the contract. So I called that company and one representative told me the contract indicates that I as a main member need to pay like that. I called a copy contract for my review. I found there is totally no such statements at all. Actually this contract didnt' say anything about how much need to pay even there is only one member stand.

I believe the sales agent and this company is lying to me. What is your opinion and what should I do?

This is my first post here, and I am an total naive in the law. Hope someone can give me some ideas ASAP.

Thanks, :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back