PTO Question

MeliMoore

Good Morning former AHI'ers. Looking for a little guidance on some PTO issues.

I am working in the accounting industry these days. Our managers are expected to work 60 hours per week during busy season. On more than a few occasions I have run into an issue where a manager has an illness, works more than 40 hours but less than their expected hours this time of year. When this happens the managers are expected to use PTO in order to make up the difference. My understanding is that employers are free to determine how PTO is used and that there is no legal parameters as long as we are follow FLSA rules for exempt employees. Am I missing anything?

We do not have a set policy about this which is understandably causing frustration with some employees. Before I work on drafting a policy I want to be sure that I am clear to do so legally. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

You are correct. In every state but California, and sometimes in California, it is entirely up to the employer how to apply paid leave.

Agree, as long as they do any work in the workweek they must be paid their full normal weekly salary. However, you can use/deduct PTO to pay part of this salary.

Back