PTO and 1/2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeliMoore

Good Afternoon:

Quick question for you all:

Our company closes during our off season on Fridays at noon. Typical hours are M-Fri 8a-5p during winter and 8-5 M-TH, 8-12 Friday
During summer we have some exempt ees who are submitting their vacation hours on Fridays at a full 8 hours and some as 4 hours. Therefore some employees are being charged only 36 hours of PTO for one week of vacation hours vacation and some are being charged 40.

My understanding is that since the company is closed and the employee is theoretically ready and willing to work that his PTO bank should be charged only 4 hours on Friday for a vacation day.

Is my interpretation correct? Or can/should I be charging him/her the full 8 hours of PTO on Fridays?

Good Afternoon:

Quick question for you all:

Our company closes during our off season on Fridays at noon. Typical hours are M-Fri 8a-5p during winter and 8-5 M-TH, 8-12 Friday
During summer we have some exempt ees who are submitting their vacation hours on Fridays at a full 8 hours and some as 4 hours. Therefore some employees are being charged only 36 hours of PTO for one week of vacation hours vacation and some are being charged 40.

My understanding is that since the company is closed and the employee is theoretically ready and willing to work that his PTO bank should be charged only 4 hours on Friday for a vacation day.

Is my interpretation correct? Or can/should I be charging him/her the full 8 hours of PTO on Fridays?

I suggest you address this with your HR or PAYROLL Departments.

There is no way a stranger with NO knowledge (or MORE importantly, NO AUTHORITY) of your businesses rules, practices, policies, or procedures could provide you with a proper answer.

Even if we did, why would your management listen to something said by some unknown nobody off of th e internet?

You are also free to consult with your state's wage and hour enforcement.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/state-employment-and-labor-laws/wisconsin/

http://www.workplacefairness.org/wage-hour-claim-WI

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/labor_standards_bureau/hours_of_work_and_overtime.htm

As a longtime HR manager, I agree with your interpretation. If the business is closed, why would you take hours off their PTO bank when they wouldn't be at work during those hours anyhow?

I kind of doubt that there are any wage & hour rules anywhere that say that you should charge somebody's PTO bank for hours that they would not have been working to begin with.

AJ, just a historical reminder here.

Some of the HR and employment law functions on this site were created at my request when one of my prior HR boards was put under new management and subsequently closed. Thelawprofessor very kindly gave us a new home. But the purpose of that site was for those of us who are HR and payroll professionals to bounce ideas around and confirm best practices, and some of us have been have been working together as a group for over 10 years. While I understand that you cannot know which members were a part of that group, it would be much appreciated if you would refrain from driving them off before the rest of the group has the opportunity to respond to the intent of the post?

In my opinion, I agree with OP & cynthiag - why would you charge PTO bank for hours they would not be working anyway.

Thank you Cynthia and Betty for the confirmation on this. I was second guessing my thought process on this topic after an argument to the contrary came about.
Cathie: Thank you for chiming in... :) To AJ's credit, I probably should have posted this in the HR Managers forum or the MH in order to find the former AHI cohorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back