Protesters swarm Grand Central, vandalize New York City Subways

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was a commuting nightmare for many New York City residents and workers as a result of an anti-police anti-MTA/transportation fare enforcement demonstration that featured vandalism at numerous subway stations and dozens of arrests. Over 1,000 members of a group calling themselves "Decolonize This Place" staged the rally which resulted in mayhem, mass graffiti, locking open emergency gates (for passengers to enter for free) and engaging in mass subway turnstile sabotage using glue substances to make standard turnstile card metro card slots and the new digital "OMNY" screens unusable.

The crux of the protest is that transportation fares are prohibitive and discriminatory against the poor and additional police added in the subways to help curb dangerous and criminal conduct, especially fare evasion, is targeted at the poor, black and brown people. On Twitter the group's account insists that the people should "make banks pay for free MTA" (free transportation system.)

The "FTP III Operations Manual" downloadable on the group's website claims that its "uprisings are queer, trans, black, brown, Palestinian, immigrant, indigenous and global." It also details and provides tips on how to deal with police action and refusal / withholding consent to search as well as dispensing advice on what to do if arrested. And while it doesn't outright promote violence, it does encourage fare hopping.

What is certainly going to be a topic of conversation is the application of New York's new "Bail Elimination Act of 2019" whose purpose is "to end the use of monetary bail, reduce unnecessary pretrial incarceration and improve equity and fairness in the criminal justice system. Cash bail is prohibited for most misdemeanors and non-violent felonies in a program that has been called the "catch and release" law.

If you're interested in reading more:
Protesters vandalize NYC train stations, set off smoke bomb, jump turnstiles in rally against over-policing in subways
Subway Protest Takes Over Grand Central, Midtown Streets

2020-02-01_15h57_04.png 2020-02-01_15h58_55.png 2020-02-01_15h59_41.png 2020-02-01_15h59_59.png

When I lived in Mass and commuted to Boston there were times I struggled to pay the cost to ride the T. It wouldn't have occurred to me to steal a ride. All that DTP is doing is playing into bad stereotypes and promoting mayhem. I truly fear for the future of this country.

I truly fear for the future of this country.

I second that emotion, as Smokey once sang.

Maybe you'll wanna give me kisses sweet
But only for one night with no repeat.
And maybe you'll go away and never call,
And a taste of honey is worse that none at all.
Oh little girl!
In that case I don't want nobody
I do believe that that would only break my heart
Oh, but if you feel like lovin' me
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion.
So, if you feel like giving me a lifetime of devotion
I second that emotion.
Maybe you'll think that love will tie you down
And you don't have the time to hang around.
Or maybe you'll think that love will make us fools,
And so it makes you wise to break the rules.
Oh little girl!
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion.
I second that emotion.
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion.
I second that emotion.
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Alfred Cleveland / William Robinson Jr.
I Second That Emotion lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Yesterday was a commuting nightmare for many New York City residents and workers as a result of an anti-police anti-MTA/transportation fare enforcement demonstration that featured vandalism at numerous subway stations and dozens of arrests. Over 1,000 members of a group calling themselves "Decolonize This Place" staged the rally which resulted in mayhem, mass graffiti, locking open emergency gates (for passengers to enter for free) and engaging in mass subway turnstile sabotage using glue substances to make standard turnstile card metro card slots and the new digital "OMNY" screens unusable.

I recently read that the subways and buses are infested with fleas, lice, roaches, and other disgusting critters (which failed to mention those of the "homo sapiens" persuasion), plus littered with feces and the malodorous stench of stale urine.

I second that emotion, as Smokey once sang.

Maybe you'll wanna give me kisses sweet
But only for one night with no repeat.
And maybe you'll go away and never call,
And a taste of honey is worse that none at all.
Oh little girl!
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion.
I second that emotion.
Maybe you'll think that love will tie you down
And you don't have the time to hang around.
Or maybe you'll think that love will make us fools,
And so it makes you wise to break the rules.
Oh little girl!
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion.
I second that emotion.
If you got the notion,
I second that emotion.
I second that emotion.
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Alfred Cleveland / William Robinson Jr.
I Second That Emotion lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Awwww....You sent me a love song!!! Does that mean you're gonna send Godiva Dark Chocolates and Roses to my IP?? <3 <3 <3

When I was a very young child...'70/'71...My mother used to say to me while tucking me in: "Nighty night....Don't let the bed bugs bite!"

I was so comforted by that ritual...of course I had ZERO idea what a bed bug was! To this day I have never seen one outside the pages of "Book of Gross". When did BB's become such a problem?

I love the term that has been bandied about lately - "criminalizing poverty".

There have always been poor but it's never been used as an excuse to break the law or ask for free rides before fairly recently. The sense of entitlement that is out there is astounding and it's more and more common for people to expect things for "free".

I have occasion to work in the subways. A few months ago a man approached me and asked if he could get a ride. I said no. He said "Why? You're here to serve and protect". I replied, "No, I'm here today to make sure everyone pays". He repeated the serve and protect line. I repeated my answer and told him to speak to the booth clerk to see if she would let him in because I wasn't going to. He then sucked his teeth and pulled out a Metrocard and said "I got my card, I'm up from Florida and wanted to see what you New York cops were like and I was right, y'all have no love",

This is all being taught at a young age too. Students have special Metrocards and get three rides a day free. They turn around and give them to parents and others and then cry that they don't have theirs and can they get into the system. I tell them that if they lost or gave theirs away that's on them - tough luck, walk. We've been seizing hundreds of them (Metrocards) being misused and summonsing the adults using them. But I guess we're criminalizing poverty and picking on minorities.

The whole environment in NYC and NYS is making me sick and I'm glad I'm retiring this year. So-called "criminal justice reform" is only making things worse. The ridiculous bending over backwards for criminals and leaving the victims hanging is disgusting. And on top of that the so-called mayor of New York City is giving away free Metrocards, cell phones, gift cards, and baseball tickets to make sure people who are released come back for their court dates.

It's insanity.

Sorry for the rant.

"Criminalizing poverty"...give me a f'ing break! SOME people that are poor are using their poverty status as an excuse to be criminals. I've been in financial woe and there ARE resources out there. I know that Massachusetts had amazing social programs to help low-income people...I would imagine that NY has such assistance as well.

Awwww....You sent me a love song!!! Does that mean you're gonna send Godiva Dark Chocolates and Roses to my IP?? <3 <3 <3

I enjoy Godiva chocolates, but compared to the chocolates one can buy in Belgium, Holland, France, or Switzerland, Godiva chocolates are akin to Hershey's. LOL

The USA should begin producing REAL chocolates in mass quantities AGAIN, rather than outsourcing said production to one of the many nations that force children to do labor or convicts.

This old planet just ain't what it used to be.

I enjoy Godiva chocolates, but compared to the chocolates one can buy in Belgium, Holland, France, or Switzerland, Godiva chocolates are akin to Hershey's. LOL

The USA should begin producing REAL chocolates in mass quantities AGAIN, rather than outsourcing said production to one of the many nations that force children to do labor or convicts.

This old planet just ain't what it used to be.
Please...feel free to send me a box of Belgium (or one of the other EU) chocolates with the roses on V-Day. You may mail to my IP address.
:p

It will be out little secret...I won't tell a soul...;)

I totally agree with you that American choc is crap....except this little shop in Manchester-by-the Sea...they had yummy treats!!!

They are going to have to raise the fees again to pay for that vandalism and prevent it from happening again.

I doubt that that will prevent anything.

Fares won't go up because of this, it's relatively small-scale. What's frigtening is this whole FTP movement. It seems like it's so widespread but I try to convince myself that it's not. How any sane person could go along with that nonsense is beyond me.

I say shut down the NYPD for a week as a preview and see how it goes.

Boy, I hope they stay away from Boston, where the fares are as bad or worse (yes I checked); which are very poorly managed and for which the only solution the MBTA can come up with is a fare increase. They're about to start working a 5 year remodel of South Station, which I commute through three - five days a week and it's going to be a nightmare just as it is.

Boy, I hope they stay away from Boston, where the fares are as bad or worse (yes I checked); which are very poorly managed and for which the only solution the MBTA can come up with is a fare increase. They're about to start working a 5 year remodel of South Station, which I commute through three - five days a week and it's going to be a nightmare just as it is.

5 Years? BRAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Remember The Big Dig?

For those who are unaware of it:

Big Dig - Wikipedia

I know. I know.

Even if all goes according to plan (and this is Boston - what are the odds of that?) it'll finish up just about the time I start planning retirement.

Back