Protective order across state lines

Awynn5446

Jurisdiction
Texas
I live in Texas and have an ex in California. I recentky Shared a story, without naming him, about him physically abusing me. He came forward and contacted me eleven times in about six hours via my work email, and admitted to having cyberstalked me since before we broke up (at least two years), sharing details of my life and work and demanding that I tell a different story about the abuse. He stays just shy of threatening in writing, but will not leave me alone, and I am unable to determine how he has access to my personal information. I am Hoping to get a restraining order or a cease and desist order to keep him from contacting me or following me. Is this possible?

Is this possible?

In Texas it is called a personal protection order.

It might be difficult, if not impossible to enjoin a resident/citizen of another state to stop molesting, harassing, annoying, or interfering with you.

You might start by filing or making an initial report with your local police or sheriff's agency.

It is easier to simply block all unwanted emails, or block emails NOT on your contacts list.

You can do the same with your mobile phone.

You can also change your contact details, and give that information to no one.

Easiest to ignore him.
I agree that if you seek this order it would be easiest to obtain in California. It is probably not worth pursuing since you are so far away. You have other ways of cutting him off. Start by reducing your social media presence.

I asked about your situation to people I know on Parent Nook Forums - Index page (Parenting and Relationship forum hosted by this site). They have suggestions

Notify your work before they see the emails to protect your job tell them you are working on a solution.

Block this person if you can on all emails, Social Media etc

Ask him to stop! Save the email so you have a record of the request

Stop posting about him even if done in a manner he is not named.

Talk to a Lawyer/Police see what (if anything) can be done

I live in Texas and have an ex in California. I recentky Shared a story, without naming him, about him physically abusing me. He came forward and contacted me eleven times in about six hours via my work email, and admitted to having cyberstalked me since before we broke up (at least two years), sharing details of my life and work and demanding that I tell a different story about the abuse. He stays just shy of threatening in writing, but will not leave me alone, and I am unable to determine how he has access to my personal information. I am Hoping to get a restraining order or a cease and desist order to keep him from contacting me or following me. Is this possible?

The most sure fire way to stop him from contacting you via electronic means - block him. On everything. Then he can't harass you that method. If he comes to stalk you or harass you in person then you definitely have a case for a protection order.

Go to the courthouse and talk to the victim witness advocates.

Back