Property

Caleb54

Jurisdiction
Texas
my parents are divorced and I have a workout bench that my dad gave to me. It is now at my mom's place and I want to bring it to my dad's place. Does my mom have the right to not allow me to bring it over. What if she says I can't.

my parents are divorced and I have a workout bench that my dad gave to me. It is now at my mom's place and I want to bring it to my dad's place. Does my mom have the right to not allow me to bring it over. What if she says I can't.
How old are you?

Then, if your mom says it stays at her house, it stays at her house. If you want to take it to your dad's, you can ask your dad to speak to your mom and let them work it out.

I have a workout bench that my dad gave to me. It is now at my mom's place and I want to bring it to my dad's place. Does my mom have the right to not allow me to bring it over. What if she says I can't.

If your mother is your primary (as in managing) conservator, you do what she says.

Even if your parents weren't divorced, ANYTHING you use or possess is legally the property of BOTH parents.

If your parents are divorced, the primary (as in managing) conservator, which is what we call a "custodial parent" in Texas/

If mam says the bench stays at HER house, it stays.

If you ask her (NOT DEMAND) to let you take it to dad's so you can use it when you visit dad's house, you just might get a pleasant surprise.

As a minor, YOU have zero rights.
That doesn't mean you're a slave.
It simply means that society says your parent(s) are your protectors/caregivers, and all rights due to you as a human being flow from your parent(s) to you.
Sadly, mom and dad are divorced, so mom has primary responsibility for you.
However, when you spend time with dad, that responsibility temporarily transfers to him.

Have a happy, safe summer, son; and use that bench to get buffed.

Back