Property rights of a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonQ42

I am a 15 year old in Illinois. Recently, my parents and I got into a minor disagreement. It resulted in them physically taking my laptop that i have spent the past year saving up for. At the moment, it is being kept at a neighbor's house until they feel like giving it back. I have tried to get it back for a little over a week, but they still won't even tell me what I need to do to get it back.

Here is my question:

Is this legal? I know they are not legally obligated to provide me with the electricity or internet, but can they actually take my property? This laptop has files on it that I need to pass my classes in school! Aren't they at least required to give me those files?

Is this legal? I know they are not legally obligated to provide me with the electricity or internet, but can they actually take my property? This laptop has files on it that I need to pass my classes in school! Aren't they at least required to give me those files?
It is legal . . . and there's nothing you can do about it

You are obviously doing something inappropriate on it. Just because you bought it does not mean you had the right to buy it, and that you have the right to keep it. I suggest you try to convince them to give it back abd promise to behave with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back