property division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodge918

Wife and I are seperated and filing for divorce in the next few weeks. I basicly left with nothing at all other than my clothes and my music equipment. We are doing this without lawyers since we have been on good terms. The only thing we are running into now is dividing our possessions (house hold goods ect). Now my wife makes double what i make so is taking on a little more of the debt, she decided to keep the house so she is taking over the payments and she is taking on a home equity line of credit that we took out on the home as well as her own credit card bills. I told my wife that i think it would be fair to split our possessions 50/50. However she is saying because she is taking on more debt that the courts wont agree to that and that she will get more. Is this correct? I am goint to try and go consult with a lawyer next week but just wanted to check here first. Thanks

The Court will agree to just about anything the two of you agree to when it comes to property. She could take ALL of the debt and NONE of the property and the Court would be ok with it if there was no coercion. Please get an attorney. If there is truly no contest it will be cheap and done right. Just do it.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back