Property Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmazzola

My ex husband stated that he did not want anything when we got divorced. I aksed him to sign a piece of paper stating that I would be awarded the marital home. He did and then 2 days after the fact, he met me at a notary where we signed it again. He has since changed his mind and now wants half. I am being told that a judge may throw out the document because he was not getting anything in the document. How is that possible? He not only signed it but drove himself to the notary after the fact. Help!

The divorce decree would have addressed the house. He cannot go back now. Whose name is on the title and mortgage?

Thanks for replying. At the time, we were not divorced just separating. He said he did not want anything. I asked him to sign a paper I wrote stating that I would keep the house and not owe him any money like a buyout. We had it notarized two days later. Now that he has a new baby, he is changing his mind. The judge said that since I did not give him anything in the document, it is not a valid contract. He did not want anything, so why would I put that in there. All it states is that I get to keep the home. I'm confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back