promotional Unsubscribe emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones76

a while back i registered on a website and continue to get promotional emails. I have unsubscribed many times and have documented all the confirmations.

can i sue them because they won't take me off their emailing list and continue to email me their promotions after I have unsubscribed?

jones76 said:
a while back i registered on a website and continue to get promotional emails. I have unsubscribed many times and have documented all the confirmations.

can i sue them because they won't take me off their emailing list and continue to email me their promotions after I have unsubscribed?
I used to be legal counsel to a large site like the one you are talking about. First of all, where are the promotional emails coming from? With co-branded endeavors, the policy was frequently to share these email addresses between companies and make sure that there was a conspicuous link to the privacy policy that explained what was happening. This is not uncommon -- sign up for a contest and you are consenting to allowing the web site and the promoter to send you emails unless you want to unsubscribe. We were good about doing so. However, if the emails came from the other company, e.g. a beauty product company, then you would need to contact them since the emails are coming separately from them. Do explain more about your situation.

Do note that it is frequently inconvenient to sue and this is an infuriating fact and why spammers send me hundreds and thousands of emails daily which need to be filtered. I'll talk more about this as necessary (including spam laws) but let's first see if we can identify the source of the problem.

more on the situation

the site is a contest/free lottery site. the emails have different nicknames ($10,000 givaway, $50k Tonight, Free Bonus Points, Lower Insurance Rates, etc.), but all come from the same place (i.e. offers@xyz.com)
The site does indicate that if you unsubscribe and continue to use/play the contests you will still receive emails.

I do not participate in the contests, but still get the emails. Is there anyway to shake this company?

I did originally sign up, but now i just want out!!

Is it worth reporting to the ftc? let's just say the ftc takes action on my claim, can i let them do all the heavy hitting and personally benfit if there is a settlement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back