Prohibit School Counselor from Talking to my Child - Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

techpersona

I would like to know if it is possible to legally prohibit a school counselor from speaking to my child?

I should mention that I do know I can make phone calls and write letters. That's not what I'm after. I'm after a legal remedy.

I have a daughter in 8th grade.

The counselor is pulling her out of class, often for 2 or more hours at a time, to interrogate her about various topics that have nothing to do with her.

For instance, she kept her out of 2 classes today to get her to "spill" details about her classmates: who dislikes whom; who has a boyfriend and who doesn't; who is homosexual, etc. My daughter missed a test today and is still doing homework at almost 10 pm because of it.

I want to "opt out" of this counselor's "services." This is not a teacher or an educator, but someone with a psych degree and I don't want her treating my child or interrogating her any more.

I would like to know if it is possible to legally prohibit a school counselor from speaking to my child?

I should mention that I do know I can make phone calls and write letters. That's not what I'm after. I'm after a legal remedy.

I have a daughter in 8th grade.

The counselor is pulling her out of class, often for 2 or more hours at a time, to interrogate her about various topics that have nothing to do with her.

For instance, she kept her out of 2 classes today to get her to "spill" details about her classmates: who dislikes whom; who has a boyfriend and who doesn't; who is homosexual, etc. My daughter missed a test today and is still doing homework at almost 10 pm because of it.

I want to "opt out" of this counselor's "services." This is not a teacher or an educator, but someone with a psych degree and I don't want her treating my child or interrogating her any more.

Before you accuse, make sure you know your daughter has told you the entire truth.
Once you believe that she has left nothing out, proceed with my suggestions listed below.

I suggest you appear at the school tomorrow.
Ask to speak to the principal, not an assistant principal, but the principal.
Report this matter to the principal, and ask him/her what the school protocol dictates.
Advise the principal that you no loner wish your child to be in the presence of this individual.

You can also short circuit the above steps and speak directly to your district's superintendent.
But, I'd speak with the principal first.
A legal remedy would take you far more time than starting with the principal or the super.
That is not to say that you can't escalate, but try this approach first.

I'd also want to know how many times this has occurred and why.

I don't mind if the legal remedy takes a long time. I just want to know what it is.
I already know I can talk to the principal and superintendent. I just want to take legal action to stop her.

I don't mind if the legal remedy takes a long time. I just want to know what it is.
I already know I can talk to the principal and superintendent. I just want to take legal action to stop her.

See, therein lies your problem.
Unless the counselor is violating some law, you won't get a legal remedy.
What legal remedy is available?
It could be possible to get a protective order against the counselor.
Be advised, courts are reluctant to interfere in school matters unless there is a showing of some exigent or emergent circumstance.

You could speak with an attorney.

But, from what you've revealed I see no exigent circumstance that would motivate a court to become involved.

That is why it was suggested you speak with your child and make sure that what you've been told is correct.
Then you should speak with the school principal.

In the end, you will need proof to proceed.

Don't be surprised that what you've been told will be different when you start investigating the matter.

Anyway, good luck, I wish you and your child well.

Another solution- tell your daughter to stop talking to the counselor. Inform her that she is to remain in class and to call you if she has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back