Program to boost work efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAMike

I work (from home) at a large corporation that deals with healthcare insurance. While working there, I started to have medical problems that impacted the amount of work I could do. Because of this, I needed to figure out a way to boost my efficiency in order to keep up with my peers. It turns out that the company installs a program called Macro Express Pro on their work computers. They use this to create small macros that help different areas of workflow. Well, I began to fiddle with the program, and over time, I wrote my own macros that significantly boosted the amount of work I can do in a day. Eventually, the company sort of caught on to the fact that my speed of work was roughly 3-4X higher than the average person. They asked me how this happens but I simply told them that I was efficient with my work. They were not very pleased with this answer and proceeded to request that my work computer be sent to them. My guess is that they checked to see if I had any programs installed on their machine. They did not find anything, however, because I wiped any part of the program that I wrote from the computer (yes, it's really gone).

I have not been in touch with the company as I have been out on medical disability. Currently, the program is non-existent... not on my own personal computer or their work computer. It exists only in my head. I am considering whether I can 'sell' them this idea in order to boost their employees' productivity. The end goal would be for them to pay me cash for the program or perhaps increase my salary. Of those two options, I would strongly prefer the former. I am also wondering if I could pitch this idea to rival companies. What type of legal issues should I be thinking about with this matter?

I greatly appreciate any insight or feedback you may provide.

You are amazing.
Maybe you could share the idea with a few genius pals that you trust.
The pals could promote and package and later sell the idea and share the money with you.
I hope your health improves.
You've automated tasks done by legions, to the work done by a dozen computers.
You could contract to do the work with your firm of automated, robotic computers.
You'll make millions.

I have read the policy with regards to ' ownership of inventions' and it seems pretty clear that the company has their bases covered when it comes to IP developed pertaining to their business. Basically, everything belongs to them. I can post the actual policy (with the company name removed) but I wasn't sure if that by itself could have repercussions.

This being said, does it seem like there is any way for me to monetize this idea now? As I mentioned, no such program exists anymore, so if I couldn't license the program (the macro), then I would just keep my mouth shut about it and it's a lose-lose situation. What about becoming a consultant/contractor for this company?

What do you suppose is the worst case scenario now? Termination? They couldn't very well ask me to re-make the program because 1. they most likely don't know it exists (my bosses are not computer savvy... they would be more inclined to believe that there are little elves in my computer doing the work for me) and 2. it isn't remotely close to my job description to write programs.

Last edited:
People often have talents unknown to their employer.
In your case, you could attempt to become a workplace efficiency consultant to the company.
No need to discuss the specifics of your technique.
You can simply see if the company would like a demonstration of your very clever technique.
If they do, buy yourself a laptop, configure it appropriately; and make mystical magic.
Once they see what you've created, conceived, and achieved; I'm sure they'll offer you a handsome financial reward. Good luck and much success.

So you wrote a supplemental program to the companies software, then deleted it. As you were being paid by them while you developed it, they appear to own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back