Process for revoking POA

painterjohn

Jurisdiction
California
Five years ago my mother was diagnosed with dementia. It was decided that since I (her son and only surviving sibling) would be working outside the home, POA would be given to my wife who would be at home with my mother. Things began to slowly deteriorate about two years ago with regard to my mothers care and my wifes ability to provide said care. All of my mothers doctor visits stopped and she began loosing weight. It got to the point where my mother had to be taken to the hospital. At which time I was informed that she was suffering from malnutrition, severe bed sores and other minor infections. I've decided that if I can bring my mother home again she will have 24 hour care. Unfortunately my wife has become angry and unreasonable, as we are in the process of divorce. It is necessary that I revoke my wifes POA so that I can begin administering to my mothers health and interests, financial and otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
John Bott

A POA has very little legal significance.

I suggest you seek legal guardianship over your mother.

Engage an attorney to obtain such guardianship for you.

Once obtained, there'll be no need for the POA.

As legal guardian, YOU can revoke the POA.

Have you contacted the police, or the agency charged with protecting senior citizens in your state?

Why would you do that?

To report your wife for allegedly neglecting your elderly mother.

A POA has very little legal significance.

I suggest you seek legal guardianship over your mother.

Engage an attorney to obtain such guardianship for you.

Once obtained, there'll be no need for the POA.

As legal guardian, YOU can revoke the POA.

Have you contacted the police, or the agency charged with protecting senior citizens in your state?

Why would you do that?

To report your wife for allegedly neglecting your elderly mother.

It was decided that since I (her son and only surviving sibling) would be working outside the home, POA would be given to my wife who would be at home with my mother.

Decided by whom? Was this decided before or after the dementia diagnosis?

It is necessary that I revoke my wifes POA so that I can begin administering to my mothers health and interests, financial and otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming your mother is no longer mentally competent, there is no one other than a judge who can revoke the POA. I agree that, if you are appointed as your wife's guardian, then you could do it. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local attorney for advice.

Back