Problem with Neighborhood Child

tommybeam

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I'm new to this so, bear with me.
First, backstory. Our son is 6 years old, only child. Recently bought a house in a small town.
Now, the problems started about a week ago. A 10 year old boy from town was pushing and hitting
our kid at our neighbors house, while playing in their pool. By itself it wouldn't have been a huge deal, but the kid seems to have made my son a target. There was another incident the next day, same location, where he apparently grabbed my son by his privates. The following day he accosted my son right outside our home, in front of my wife. Knocked him to the ground, got on him, and started hitting him and calling him "gay" and a "faggot". My son is six years old.
After this, I went directly to talk to the parents. His dad is a single father, with an older daughter also at 13. I discovered that the boy in question is supposed to be medicated for mental problems. Specifically ADHD and violent tendencies. During our talk, the child was walking around the yard, acting very aggressively, hitting things with a pipe and cursing. The father can't get the boy to take his meds, and during the day his father goes to work, leaving the 13 year old daughter to supervise the boy. So the boy goes and spreads terror everywhere. He's had the cops called on him multiple times for vandalism and whatnot. The question now is what do I do? This kid...he's not right. I'm terrified. I'm going to literally have to watch my son 24/7 now, for fear of retaliation. His father's girlfriend won't even move into the house with them, because she's afraid the child will kill her animals. Apparently he has a history of it. I feel so bad for the father, but I'm more afraid for my son. This kid could walk up here with a knife or something. What do I do?

You have two obvious choices.

The first one, call the cops, report the incident.
The cops will arrive, investigate, very little will change even if the cops refer the matter to the juvenile court.

The second one, keep your child away from the other kid.
That one will have more instantaneous, longer lasting results.

Choose wisely, or you'll come to regret the incorrect choice.

Thanks for the replies. Trying to avoid the kid, but he has no problem whatsoever with coming right on our property to harass my boy. Doesn't care even if we're standing right nearby. My wife had to physically chase him away when he was on top of our son. We're planning on having security cameras installed soon, just in case of property damage. Will video documentation of his behavior help?

Absolutely, the neighbors that i mentioned where the first few incidents happened have a long history of problems with the child. Mostly property damage, but also violence. Their mother and oldest son had to chase the kid away too after he was throwing rocks at their house, cars and small children.

You can call CPS if this kid is being left to roam unsupervised and causing mayhem. I would not allow my son to play at houses that invite this kid over.

Back