Probation

Tink114

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
In 2008 i was convicted of identity theft and sentenced to 2 years non reporting probation and payment of fines and restitution. In 2011 I was released from non reporting probation after fines were finally paid. I have a letter from my probation officer stating that my sentence was complete. Now 6 years later I'm being told I still owe fines. Is this possible?

No way we could know.
You need to review the terms of your sentencing and verify it was all taken care of. A letter from your probation officer is good, but even better would be receipts.

Who did you receive this notice from? Is it from the court? If not from the court it could be a scam.... You never know.

Now 6 years later I'm being told I still owe fines. Is this possible?

Yes, it is entirely possible.

I suggest you contact the clerk of the court (or the agency that sent you correspondence alleging you owe debts) and ask exactly what you owe and why.

If you do nothing, you could find yourself arrested under a capias warrant, whatever its called in your jurisdiction.

No way we could know.
You need to review the terms of your sentencing and verify it was all taken care of. A letter from your probation officer is good, but even better would be receipts.

Who did you receive this notice from? Is it from the court? If not from the court it could be a scam.... You never know.
No notice from the court about it at all.

Yes, it is entirely possible.

I suggest you contact the clerk of the court (or the agency that sent you correspondence alleging you owe debts) and ask exactly what you owe and why.

If you do nothing, you could find yourself arrested under a capias warrant, whatever its called in your jurisdiction.

Thanks. I will contact the clerk of courts.

I'm trying to go to Canada and I have to apply for rehabilitation. I have an immigration attorney who noticed a balance due on one of the court papers. I contacted my probation officer who said that everything was okay. I'm so confused about this right now. State and federal background checks came back saying that everything has been satisfied as well

I'm trying to go to Canada and I have to apply for rehabilitation. I have an immigration attorney who noticed a balance due on one of the court papers. I contacted my probation officer who said that everything was okay. I'm so confused about this right now. State and federal background checks came back saying that everything has been satisfied as well

Your immigration attorney, if you trust her/him, is the one to ask for more details.

Ask to be directed to the source, as in the entity that alleges you owe more money.

Thank you so much for your advice. I have calls out to my attorney from the case in question and the immigration attorney as well.

Back