Probation and Driving Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JANETOFCALIF

Hello,

I just started Federal Supervised probation for a NON violent crime (fraud).

I sent an email to my U.S. Probation Officer and I am awaiting his reply.

The probation terms they gave me seemed like a cookie cutter sheet, no community svs, no drug testing, nothing special checked off. However one of the basic terms (line #1) is the don't break ANY new Federal, State or Local laws. I do mail in a monthly report which notes any police contact and other questions, which of course I would check this off if any things occurs.

First question: what happens if I recieve a traffic infraction? Such as a fix it to a speeding or any moving violation? I do know that certain moving violations may cause an officer to arrest ANYONE, just wondering if everyday moving violations, fix it's, or minor speeding etc will violate my probation?

Second Question: regardless of the infraction will the officer arrest me just because I am on probation?

Thank you

No!

To answer your first question:
Moving violations are for the most part misdemeanors and the only way that you will be arrested for such an offense is if you refuse to sign the citation or give the officer cause to believe that you are a flight risk and will not show up for arraignment.

So, No! Every day, run of the mill traffic citations will not be a probation violation but a D.U.I. (driving under the influence) will most probably count as a violation.

As for your second question:
No! You will not be arrested for a (let's say) a speeding ticket just because you are on probation, unless the officer does a search of your person or your vehicle and finds an illegal substance, or a gun or anything else that you are not supposed to have on you.

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back