Privacy Violated by distant Family member

Status
Not open for further replies.

inshock2007

My distant half brother in law is applying for jobs with the government. The application requires for him to provide all his/spouse extended family information, but the application states only family members with whom you or your spouse are bound by affection, obligation, or close and continuing contact.

I've spoke with him once in 5 years and the relationship has been a disaster. Bottom line, there is no relationship. This guy sent me a message with another relative just to let me know that he will share all my peronal/private sensitive information in this employment application. I find it outrageous because he only knows the town we lived but doesn't have knowledge of my address or phone number, as I stated before, there is no relationship. Also he is trying to find out my address and contact information by putting pressure in other family members, and for what I've heard he is determined to find out. No one understands his reasons.

Are there any laws that protect my privacy in a case like this? We're not bound to him or his spouse by affection, obligation and are not in close and continuing contact, but he thinks he can go to jail for "lying" by not providing my personal information.

Any opinions, questions or advice will be truly appreciated.

There is no crime to provide that information. All you can really do is ask that family members not provide it to him. However, I hate to tell you this, but if you own your own home, have rented for a long period of time, or ever had any legal paperwork (title, deed, trust, court document) ever filed, then your name, address, and other contact info is very likely sitting out there right now just waiting for him and anyone else to find it if they want it.

It sounds as if he feels he has to provide this information for the application. There is no law in any state that I have ever heard of that would make this unlawful.

Now, if he provided birthdate, social security number, license number, bank account number, and other assorted personal identifiers, I can see that there would be a problem.

- Carl

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to base a legal argument over the fact that there is no relationship, we're not bound in any way or neither in contact, so for, there is no reason for him to include me in his application?

In what court would you make a "legal argument"? And on what grounds? If you had the money to pay an attorney I suppose he could come up with SOME argument to try and get a court order preventing him from relating that information, but I'd be amazed if a judge would sign off on such a thing absent some potential harm to you.

The information he apparently seeks is not confidential nor is it protected by any law. I can go to any number of public offices - as well as the library or the internet - and legally obtain all manner of information about you. if you are not registered to vote, own no property, and have never filed any court documents, it would be more difficult to find the info.

If he were to provide your info for the purpose of exposing you to financial or physical harm, then an argument MIGHT be made that his actions were malicious. But, I doubt you are going to be able to prove that.

What harm do you feel will befall you if he prints tyour name and address on an application? How will you be damaged?

- Carl

If you agree I can send you a private message, I don't feel comfortable posting more details. But there is a huge possibilitty of harm. Let me know.

You may certainly PM me if you choose. Keep in mind there is a short word count in PM.

Ultimately, you would have to somehow convince a court where he is that there is a great likelihood of serious harm should he provide information that is already almost certainly publicly available.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back