preying on chronically ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelJohnson

good day
it saddens me that this is a reality but here goes ...facebook.

i am a lupus sufferer that has a global network of other chronically ill people. occasionally we have someone posing and posting as a ill person.
a year ago a man was reported and blocked by fb for sexually harassing quite a few of my friends.
a few days ago a very dear friend received a message on her wall playing the 'guess who this is game' ... this under a new name and a organisation not a person. this is not representative of a professional.

i have personally seen and heard of his infiltration and perversions within many closed groups.

i have warned my network of friends as to his historical behavior.
tonight i received a threat from a 'friend' of his which inadvertently confirms it is the same individual.
i am seeing reports going back as far as 4 years to his sexual misconduct.

what are my rights to warning other chronically ill people?

i have named him and posted a link to his current page.
this is a serious matter and he has harmed too many people.

Unless you have actual proof of wrongdoing - as in criminal convictions and the like - "naming and shaming" could land you on the wrong end of a defamation lawsuit.

Tread very carefully.

i understand i am seen to be on the wrong side.

i do have proof of many stories. i am gathering evidence as well. many women that have been victim to him.
i have posted in groups that i am a member of. which is many, i have a large network.
HOW DO I PROTECT THEM? what is my next step? i am in another country.
i appreciate your response.

It's not your job to protect them.

People need to take responsibility and practice due diligence - even when participating in online forums.

Otherwise, again, you might be the one in trouble.

If you're in another country, why is this posted under Texas?

he is in texas.
there is a previous suit against him. more and more evidence coming out. court ordered him to go off-line and i now know of 2 alternative user names.

Please explain - court "ordered him to go off-line"?

How exactly did that happen?

Regardless, it's up to the people actually affected (not you), if they wish to take action against this person.

i am waiting for confirmation from the person that took him to court regarding the facts of the suit, here say was he was banned from internet.
surely i can do something?

You don't have the facts.

And you're not in the US.

There's nothing you can do without putting yourself at risk of a lawsuit.

I suggest you post a message and advise people to be cautious as to who they chat with, and never allow an online meeting through your website. You can't stop predators, but you can warn people to be cautious.

Just read about people who prey on others by joining chats/forums for the chrconically ill when they are not chrinically ill. This violates a sense of trust and opens the doors for these imposters to get pity and suppo they do not deserve.

Just read about people who prey on others by joining chats/forums for the chrconically ill when they are not chrinically ill. This violates a sense of trust and opens the doors for these imposters to get pity and suppo they do not deserve.

On the other hand, you could be unduly judgmental of someone with an inferiority disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back