Preparedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

newnoodogs

I do not want a divorce.

It has been obvious for a long time that my wife plans to divorce me at some point. She moved into the spare bedroom months ago, but has been in the habit of threatening divorce for any little disagreement.

Although I am the sole wage earner in the household, she is a few credits shy of her Master's degree while I have a high-school education.

I am paying child support for two kids from a previous marriage as well as paying off my current wife's $60K student loan and providing her with a vehicle and spending money.

We don't own a home (we rent a house), we have no monthly car payments. We have a 4-year-old child together.

I would gladly walk away from the vehicle she uses and all the furniture (both hers and whatever we purchased during the marriage).

I fully intend to pay child support, but I can't see how I am supposed to keep up all these payments, keep her in a house and get another dwelling for myself.

All her friends are "advising" her to take actions that would clearly leave me unable to pay anyone anything.

I do not trust the legal system to do the right thing, so I really feel like I am completely on my own.

All I want is to protect my ability to continue earning a living - meaning I need to be able to afford a place to live, a vehicle, food, reasonable expenses in order to keep my job and continue subsidizing what seems like the entire wesetrn hemisphere - and ensure the well-being of our child.

I am currently getting chiropractic adjustments through the barter system because I can't afford the co-payments, so I think hiring a lawyer is not a realistic option.

Does anyone know of any resources, links, or anything at all that might provide a clue about what my course of action should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back