Pregnancy Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

6mospregnant

I have worked for a plastic surgeon in Alabama for 7 1/2 years. July 10th I told my employer I was 15 weeks pregnant. I was apprehensive to disclose this information because in the 7 1/2 years I have worked for this doctor I had witnessed 2 pregnant employees get fired. One of which the surgeon offered to pay for her abortion, then fired her less than a month after she declined (with a different reason stated). These 2 employees had planned on returning to their jobs after giving birth. The 3rd pregnant employee was not fired, but had already explained to the boss she would not be returning after giving birth. After telling my employer I had fully planned on returning to work, I offered to help as much as possible during my maternity leave. I had planned on taking 6 weeks leave, because that is the minimum age for a newborn to be accepted into daycare.

I had told everyone in my family, my OBGYN, my coworkers, and all of my close friends that I was afraid I would be fired after telling the boss I was pregnant.

September 16th I was terminated from my position for "egregarious misconduct" for email contact with two former employees. One was a doctor I had just started working for on the side, the other a close friend. The emails were listed as Exhibits in the paperwork I was presented with during my dismissal. The reasoning was that I had worked for this other doctor during office time while I was on the clock. I had done this work for another doctor, which was cleared through my employer, and he did not have a problem with it. The emails to my friend talked about my disdain for the office manager, using colorful language. Prior to this incident, I had never been reprimanded for any behavior, never written up, all of my annual reviews were excellent. I was selected to work extra hours and travel for promotion of the clinic. I had always been told by my superiors that I did an amazing job, and was a very valued employee.

During this meeting regarding my termination the Doctor/business owner and his lawyer were present. The paperwork stated that I would be paid a grossly reduced rate (the equivalent of unemployment) and my medical insurance would be kept, until Jan 2010, 4 weeks after the baby is due. By signing the paperwork, I was giving up my right to sue. Through sobs and hyperventilating, I signed the paperwork. I was in complete shock, completely devastated, that at six months pregnant I was losing my job that I really enjoyed.

Now that I have recovered from the shock of being fired (almost 2 weeks), I can't help but think I shouldn't have signed the paperwork. Why would I have to sign something that stated I wouldn't sue, if everything they had done was legitimate?

I'm starting to think I should be seeking legal counsel, any ideas?

No matter what the situation, the computers and email system of an employer belong to the employer. It is totally within their rights to fire any employee who uses company property for personal use. Even if they use it as way to fire you for other reasons. No employee should ever think they can use email and the internet at work for whatever they want.

nycfilmmaker, thank you for your post.

I understand the email/internet use policy. The email checks did not occur until after I had told them I was pregnant, though the office has had internet access for over 5 years. No other employee was reprimanded for email use of any kind in the history of the office. The nature of the office required very little internet usage, and was acknowledged by the employer that personal use was fine. There were no strict protocol for internet usage, as in some offices. I am not questioning the reasoning behind the dismissal. My concerns were that no other employee has ever been terminated with a lawyer present, or asked to sign such an agreement as I was. I am seeing a pattern of pregnant women being fired, possibly singled out, and that has been my biggest issue.

nycfilmmaker, thank you for your post.

I understand the email/internet use policy. The email checks did not occur until after I had told them I was pregnant, though the office has had internet access for over 5 years. No other employee was reprimanded for email use of any kind in the history of the office. The nature of the office required very little internet usage, and was acknowledged by the employer that personal use was fine. There were no strict protocol for internet usage, as in some offices. I am not questioning the reasoning behind the dismissal. My concerns were that no other employee has ever been terminated with a lawyer present, or asked to sign such an agreement as I was. I am seeing a pattern of pregnant women being fired, possibly singled out, and that has been my biggest issue.

if they have done this before, then they may have already been involved with eeoc in the other cases. that would be the reason that they had an atty present, etc. and offered the medical continuation is to avoid eeoc's attention in a 'pregnancy discrimination' case. it tells me they have been down this road before and they are trying to cover their backside by doin it the way they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back