Power of Attorney question

CindiW

I need to get PoA for my husband, who is retired from a NYC municipality agency. This particular office said they did not have a form and I needed to get one. I already have a PoA with another office for retirees, but seems the health benefits and pension benefits are two different entities. The question is, we live in a different state now, so what do I put on the form? I don't know what jurisdiction or state to put down, since the retirement agency is in NY but we are living in Pennsylvania.

We can't help you draft legal documents here. That would be illegal.

The POA works best if it is crafted specifically for where you intend to use it (it would appear in this case to be NYC).

I need to get PoA for my husband, who is retired from a NYC municipality agency.

I suggest you ask your husband to call his former employer's retiree assistance section.

I don't know that any entity allows it's retiree assistance section to discuss an employee's retirement, even if the person is the retiree's spouse.

I suspect the only exception would be if a person inquiring was the legal guardian of the retiree, and then the entity would NEED proof that the person speaking on behalf of the retiree was the legal guardian (as in the court order designating XYZ as legal guardian of 123).

The POA works best if it is crafted specifically for where you intend to use it (it would appear in this case to be NYC).
I'm not asking you to draft a legal documen

I did not ask you or imagine you should draft a legal document for me. Just to make it clear, I was asking something else. Thanks anyway, but please do not interpret what I said as to ask you or anyone here to draft or craft a poa for me. Have a nice day.

I suggest you ask your husband to call his former employer's retiree assistance section.

I don't know that any entity allows it's retiree assistance section to discuss an employee's retirement, even if the person is the retiree's spouse.

I suspect the only exception would be if a person inquiring was the legal guardian of the retiree, and then the entity would NEED proof that the person speaking on behalf of the retiree was the legal guardian (as in the court order designating XYZ as legal guardian of 123).
Maybe I didn't phrase my initial question properly. I do have poa with one office and they can and do answer any questions I may have. It's not that they just "discuss" anything with me without legal documentation allowing me to talk to them. I was wondering about the locale, but anyway, have a nice day.

I gave you the answer about the locale, but you specifically asked "WHAT DO I WRITE ON THE FORM" which is outside the scope about what we can do.

You'll get better service here if you avoid the snark in your responses.

I gave you the answer about the locale, but you specifically asked "WHAT DO I WRITE ON THE FORM" which is outside the scope about what we can do.

Ok thanks. I misphrased because I certainly didn't mean for you to write it for me. I was ... Oh nevermind. Not that you're snarky.

I'm not asking you to draft a legal documen

Your question, "what do I put on the form?" indicates otherwise.

Your four posts in this thread don't seem to indicate any other question, but they do seem to indicate some misunderstanding of what a power of attorney is, so I strongly suggest that you and your husband confer with a local attorney.

Your question, "what do I put on the form?" indicates otherwise.

Your four posts in this thread don't seem to indicate any other question, but they do seem to indicate some misunderstanding of what a power of attorney is, so I strongly suggest that you and your husband confer with a local attorney.
I will. My question was about the locale. And that is what I meant if the agency is in one state but my location is in another. Anyway, y'all have a nice day.

Oh and just to make sure, did you mean I need to move to ny when you said if it is "for where you intend to use it (it would appear in this case to be NYC)." But anyway, never mind and thanks again. I'll have to look at store for POA form.

Look, I'll tell you this: You are going to need the agency to tell you what they specifically need.

Yes, while a POA allows you to act, it doesn't mandate that people will accept it. Generally, the more restricted to the situation at hand the power is written the more likely it is to be accepted.

Yes, while a POA allows you to act, it doesn't mandate that people will accept it. Generally, the more restricted to the situation at hand the power is written the more likely it is to be accepted.
Thank you. I guess I'll have to send one in and then ask if it's approved.

Back