Homicide, Murder, Manslaughter Potter Trial

There is always the chance that despite the evidence the jury simply refuses to convict, but given the timing of this incident and the climate in that area I doubt it.

I agree, she more than likely will go to jail. However, I would like to point out had the criminal not resisted arrest and/ or tried to hop back in the car and take off this would not have happened.

The ultimate goal is to de-fund police and take lethal means of force away from them like Europe except we have the whole constitution thing that gets in the way.

Friday's testimony handed a nugget to the defendant.

Testimony by a major favored the defendant.

The major suggested that had the defendant intentionally pulled and fired her weapon, based upon the circumstances in play, such an action might have been justified under MN law.

It ain't over, but Friday's bombshell might have favored the officer on trial.

It all depends on how the jury sees it.

The major suggested that had the defendant intentionally pulled and fired her weapon, based upon the circumstances in play, such an action might have been justified under MN law.

I think even that is a hard sell. The same level of resistance outside the vehicle would not call for deadly force. That Wright tried to flee in the vehicle did not make it a weapon, and he never produced one. He was trying to get away, not to attack the police.
The passenger in the vehicle was an excellent reason to NOT use a firearm.
They had a known suspect. Had he fled they could have obtained a warrant on new offenses and picked him up a later time.
I see nothing that even justifies a firearm being drawn. The trainee blew it by losing control. With proper control holds this would not have happened.
The trainee's failure does not justify escalating to deadly force.
This just happened too fast for Potter to process her options.

I am not convinced Potter's testimony helped her much, other than the fact that she gave it.
I understand people block things out from traumatic experiences, but she used "I don't remember" too much. I would expect a 26 year veteran to recall certain details despite the traumatic experience.

I think the jury has all the information they need to justify conviction, but if there was ever a time for jury nullification this may be it. I would hate to convict her and have it be seen as justifying Wright's behavior.

On this jury I would be a hold out despite the evidence.

It seems to me that when the jury asks the judge what happens if they can't reach a unanimous decision, it is very likely they have more than one holdout and some strong opinions.

This is good news for Potter.

I am surprised with the climate they have in that area that they didn't make quick work of her in deliberation.

It seems to me that when the jury asks the judge what happens if they can't reach a unanimous decision, it is very likely they have more than one holdout and some strong opinions.

This is good news for Potter.

I am surprised with the climate they have in that area that they didn't make quick work of her in deliberation.

come on man, lots of Let's Go Brandon, in the outskirts of those big cities. I think it deadlocks too and a mistrial, retrial will happen. I think they may try one more time and then say forget it when another jury deadlocks.

They also asked if they can get the murder weapon removed from its container so they can hold it in their hands. The judge agreed to this request.

Hmmm

I wonder if they are also going to ask to hold a Glock to compare? If they do the prosecution would be wise to do something to simulate a loaded Glock which feels MUCH different and much less like the Taser.

It's the glock they're asking about. Right now the thing has a wire tie running down the barrel holding it to a cardboard box. The judge approved having the tie removed so they can pick it up.

211213192228-02-kim-potter-trial-monday-large-169.jpg

They also asked if they can get the murder weapon removed from its container so they can hold it in their hands. The judge agreed to this request.

I thought that might be a bad move. Surely the gun was not loaded. And that is where most of the weight is. An unloaded firearm might feel much more similar to the taser in weight.

The attorneys could ask that the gun be loaded with dummy rounds to more accurately simulate the weight.

The guilty verdict is no surprise. I expected it much sooner though.
I am curious to find out what held them up.

These are troubled times in which we attempt to exist.

People no longer feel free.

People feel constrained to do what their "betters" demand.

That said, an appeal could prove very helpful for Potter.

Yes, and people wonder why no one wants to become police officers even with 10-15k sign on bonuses. No one in their right mind with other options would want to be a police officer.

Don't call the police to be first responders or come to aid. Call the police to come pick up the bodies.

Back