Posting of Personally Identifiable Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickZ

Over the past month I have posted a few times regarding a situation where a website posted a photo I took of myself without my consent or permission. First of all let me thank all of you for the advice and feedback you have given. After chasing the website in question through a change in hosting providers and multiple DMCA notices the photo in question was finally completely removed by the hosting provider. This was great except it appears to have angered the website in question.

In response to the take down the website in question did the following:

1) Tracked my IP address and then did a look up of it. This provided them with an institution I work with.

2) Using my name (which was provided with the DMCA notice) the website did a directory search through the institute's website. This provided them with a job title, my name, and my email address with this institution.

3) The website in question then posted this personally identifiable information.

At no point in time did I ever provide this information voluntarily or with my consent or knowledge to the website in question. The website has a privacy policy that states it will not disclose any information that they collect to third parties (unless required by law). The primary hosting provider for this website also states that it prohibits the collecting of personal information about others without their knowledge or consent. So my questions are as follows:

1. Isn't publishing my personally identifiable information to the website an open disclosure to any third party who may visit the site?

2. By using my IP Address to find out who I was affiliated with, looking me up in a directory using my name provided in a DMCA notice and then publishing this information; isn't that collecting personal information without my knowledge or consent?

3. What are my possible avenues for having some if not all of this information removed without completely angering the site to the point where they start to harass me in other ways?

Feedback would be really appreciated and I thank all of you ahead of time for any help and insight that you can provide.

Meaning they used my name on the DMCA notice to look me up on an online directory associated with the institution I work with. They then posted my full name and email on their website. As I understand it, personally identifiable information can be a full name which is not common (mine is not that common) and my email. I never gave them this information, they dug it up using my IP address and name from the DMCA notice. Then they put it on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back