Possibly being sued over "fake" Ugg boots sold on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

leahpet

Hello,

I received 2 pairs of UGG boots for Christmas, both in the same size and both too big for me. I posted them on Craigslist for $80 each (what was paid) and ended up accepting an offer from a woman for $137.50 for both. She came over to my house to pick them up earlier this evening. My husband took them out of the box so she could inspect them but, she didn't really look and gave him the money and left.

I just got a really rude email from her saying that they were fake Uggs and that we knew and are intentionally trying to rip her off. We bought them on eBay and had NO IDEA they weren't authentic! She then went on to tell me all the ways that you can tell if Ugg boots are fake. I'm like if you know so much, then why didn't you check them out thoroughly BEFORE you bought them!

She's threatening to sue me in small claims court! She has demanded I send her a money order refund but has not offered to return the boots.

I wouldn't mind working things out with her if she were civil but, I don't like being threatened. :mad:

Does she have a case or is it a "buyer beware" type of situation since we are both on a level playing field - ie-I'm not an UGG dealer/expert by trade?

Thanks! :)

UPDATE: She says that we have to either drive an hour and a half away to her house to pick them up or trust her and send her the money order and shipping costs and she will send them back after she gets the money from us.

Last edited:
The time for her to inspect whether these were "real" UGG boots was before she forked over her money for them.

Will she sue you? Perhaps, although many threaten and few actually go through with this.

Gail

Well, it's a matter of principle at this point. I bet if you all had a nickle for every time you heard that you'd be filthy rich! I, like most people, do not like being threatened and accused when I did nothing intentionally wrong. She's acting like I charged her full retail price when in fact she got two pairs of really nice boots for $137.50! Out of curiosity, I looked on the UGG site and ONE pair of these boots from them in $140 plus shipping.

I wrote her a letter and basically told her that if she had been civil about the matter I would have gladly worked something out but, making threats and being rude won't get her anywhere with me. :rolleyes:

If it ends up in small claims court, so be it.

To all of the contributors here, thanks a lot for your input and advice. I know your time is very valuable and I really appreciate your help! :hugs:

possibly being sued over fake ugg boots sold on craigslist

I feel your pain! I just found myself in a simiiar situation. I just bought a used dishwasher 2weeks ago that stated it was in excellent condition from craigslist. New it goes for $999. Got it home hooked it up and guess what..it leakes from the motor! She told me I installed it wrong because my husband did it and not a lisenced plumber. I offered to bring the machine back in exchange for my money and was told NO. I BROKE IT! $450 is alot of money to me to just toss out and say oh well. I could have bought a new machine with no headaches. I am looking into small claims court myself and I have to file where I purchased it from, which is 2 hours away! So, if this lady is going to file against you, she has to take the ride regardless. Do contacting with her by email so you have a papertrail of her rudeness and ignorance. Hopefully it will work in your favor and mine. I have a copy of the ad and all my emails, not to mention the calls on my cell. Justice will prevail! Good luck.. and i am DONE with CRAIGSLIST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back