Consumer Fraud Possible Real Estate Scam

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
First off this situation is complicated. Please bear with me. Currently I'm trying to sell a commercial property. My real estate agent decided on the starting price. We've lowered it a few times to try attracting more buyers. Then the agent said I should try selling one of my other properties instead, yet previously he advised to do a few repairs to improve asking price before I sold it. I didn't think it sounded right for him to change his mind so quickly meanwhile he knew I needed to unload the particular property that I wanted to sell and not the others. After that he kept recommending to lower price, but still supposedly no one was interested when prior to that he said there were several interested. Then he claimed that really there were no serious buyers. He had claimed to begin with he knew many investors who would be interested. And, that my property was something special. I thought that sounded phony. Next, a possible buyer comes along and makes many offers that were totally unacceptable. The price had started at almost $400,000 and got lowered down to $270,000 That's when he came along.. He endless claims the property isn't worth half of that. He tries to offer all kinds of incentives to get me to sell for just $173,000. I'm very suspicious of him because he 's offering to buy one of my other properties that isn't currently for sale. He didn't know about it until the agent showed it to him. Then he knocks on my door. I didn't know at the time who it was so I didn't answer. However, I never answer to anyone coming unannounced. People I know wouldn't do that because they know I won't answer unexpected visitors. It could be anybody out there nowadays. He then offers a much reduced price of $125,000, and he wants the other property for an outrageously low amount. The agent told me not to take the deal. I had no intention of it. First, the potential buyer wanted me to wait 7 months for an act of sale. Then he wants some ridiculous requirement since I requested to moved my possessions and furniture after the act of sale . I don't currently have funds to have the stuff moved. My agent had promised I wouldn't have any problem with that since sellers do that all the time. then this buyer wanted to only give me a check for $12,000 and said I could move my stuff out, but I was libel until I left the premises. I wouldn't get the act of sale until then. Well, that sounded somewhat off to me. What if he decided not to go through with the deal after I had cashed the check and spent some of it to move my stuff? What if the slightest thing went wrong, or even if he looked for the slightest thing, or even set it up that way as an excuse to pay me less or try try to rip me off for the whole thing? He could even come up with some crazy lawsuit. I strictly don't trust the guy or the situation. In fact, as much as I need a sale the mere thought of doing business with him is quite disturbing. However, now after just yesterday being told by the agent not to accept his deal and recommends dropping the price to $222,000 today he says I should take the offer. I told him absolutely no way. I told him I was highly suspicious of this prospective buyer and that everything about him was suspect. Then the agent never had a reply to any of my comments. It was like never mind move on to the next. I don't know what to think about any of it except I wish the darn property would sell to somebody else soon and the whole thing goes away. After that who do you trust?? My question is I'm I right that something is more than a bit off with that situation? I'm a senior, and I think I almost became the victim of some kind of real estate scam. What can I do? What should I do, if anything? I'm not even sure it's over?

It is over as soon as you tell the real estate salesperson that you won't be doing any business with him or his firm.

Then you sell the property YOURSELF or hire another agency.

Whether he was scamming you or is incompetent doesn't matter, because you were smart enough NOT to be scammed.

No need to think about it any longer, turn the page and move on with your life.

What can I do? What should I do, if anything? I'm not even sure it's over?

First thing you have to understand is that real estate agents are whores for the commission and will do anything and everything to get it sold and walk away with the commission. Not always in the best interests of the seller.

Did you sign a listing agreement?
Did you read it?
Did you understand it?
Did you even keep a copy?

You might have some continuing obligation to that agent even if you sell it through another agent or by yourself.

I suggest that you take the listing contract to an attorney for review and see what risks, if any, you take by dumping this agent at this point.

I'll try insisting on a copy. Maybe I should tell the agent my lawyer wants to read it.
Sure, you can tell them that, but if they don't give it to you, then there's not much you can do.

Keep in mind that, by telling them that your lawyer wants to read it, you can bet that they'll clam up faster than you can say "boo".

Back