Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Possible charges for a 20-year old having consent sex with a 16-year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaStudent

A 20-year old man had 'consent' sex with a 16-year old girl who is now pregnant. What should the parents of the minor do in this case? The girl will be 17 in September; she's a US resident, but the man is illegal and jobless. (Does the situation change if they were boyfriend and girlfriend for over a year?)
In the case her parents decide not to pursue any legal action, will the man still be punished by Florida laws? If so, how will the state know if the man is not reported?
Your help is greatly appreciated

And Florida is perhaps the second-toughest state in the entire country when it comes to enforcing child sex laws.

Fortunately for the 20 year old, there is this:

clicky clicky

That's not to say they can't charge him with SOMETHING (and again, Florida is INCREDIBLY strict about underage sex laws and they DO enforce them).

It's also not impossible for the parents to be in trouble, either. Google "failure to protect", OP.

And how would the state know?

She is 16 and pregnant; the hospital will have personnel who are mandated reporters. They'll make sure the authorities are informed.

Disagreeable and Proserpina; thanks for the reply; I was reviewing the info there but it looks like any punishment will be applied for an individual 24 or older who had intimacy with a child Under 16, which is not the case I provided. Also, for the child to be born, if the teen mother decides to keep the baby, 8 months need to pass--which is a long time.
I need to know what the parents should do at this time according to Florida laws.

Thank you again!!!

What, she's never going to have pre-natal care?

The parents need to protect THEIR child. The 16 year old.

FL case 19 year old has sex with 16 GF FL rape laws have a close in age line or two. Adult is charged with lewd acts with a minor and sentenced to 12 years!

Parents at a minimum should get the girl to a doctor. The parents do not have to report to law enforcement but the doctor likely will.
If there parents do nothing they will be scrutinized more.

Parents will be more likely to take the girl to the doctor; my question was specifically for the punishment of a 20-year old man and what parents should do (not with the girl). The information I read contains information for individuals 24 or older victimizing children under 16; so this actually does not apply to this case.
I'm still googling and reading different sections under Florida laws, with no avail....

Your help is appreciated

FL age of consent is 18 if the laws do not permit prosecution he can be prosectuted under lewd acts with a minor law which can get him over a decade in prison as I stated

I was relaying something I read I dont know statute number your best bet is to contact a FL Attorney and ask some websites have not been updated since FL change age of consent to 18

don't worry Proserpina, I'm not studying law; this is a real case and these parents are desperate and don't know what to do. I'm just trying to help them...with your help if possible

your help is appreciated Shrinkmaster.

I just read the law in Florida states that the consent age is 16 with individuals under 24.... , but 18 with individuals 24 and older....doesn't make sense for me, but that's the law...

Bottom line:

. Its unlawful to have sex with anyone under 18 in FL
. The minors Doctor is a mandated reporter and by law must report the assualt
. If parents choose to ignore situation they could lose child and any other children they have as result and/or face criminal charges
. As stated FL as some of the toughest laws where it comes to sex crimes with minors

The adult rapist (yes hes a rapist) needs to talk to an Attorney right away and not say a word to anyone but his Attorney. Parents need to address situation adn do what is best for their child which might or should include reporting the crime to Police

your help is appreciated Shrinkmaster.

I just read the law in Florida states that the consent age is 16 with individuals under 24.... , but 18 with individuals 24 and older....doesn't make sense for me, but that's the law...

Its 18 I already told you some sites hav enot been updated since FL changed age of consent! You want reliable answers contact a FL Attorney!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back