polygamy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewilson425

my girlfriend of 2 years has been separated from her husband for about 8 years. not too long ago, we found out that he had married another woman up north somewhere and was trying to marry one here. he is currently in jail for polygamy. can the state grant my girlfriend an annulment based on this or does she still have to file for divorce?

I think there is usually a time limit for a person can file an annulment. If that time limit expires, she has to file for a divorce. Check with your local state law to see if there is such a limit in your state. This may be extenuating circumstances, but that would be up to a judge to decide.
Good luck.

-Nick

hey ndragon

maybe annulment isn't the word i'm looking for. how does the law generally handle cases like this? do they force the offender to divorce all of his wives?

She will likely have to file a standard divorce. In some cases, both parties don't have to agree to the divorce. There are steps she can take to simply dissolve the marriage.
State laws will determine exactly what needs to take place here. Call your local Bar Association and ask for a list of lawyers that may be willing to help you.
Best of luck.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back