Police Entered My Home Without Permission

J

Jay Cee

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
As an act of ongoing harassment, my downstairs neighbor called the police to complain about noise in my apartment at 12:45 am while I was asleep. At 2:45 am the police banged on my door, woke me up, explained the complaint and asked if they could come into my apartment. I said no, but one of the officers took a step into my apartment leaving him with one foot in and one foot out in the landing. This prevented me from closing the door. I asked him to leave, but he refused and stood there looking around my apartment and commenting on various observations for about 5 - 10 minutes until they cleared the call and left. In total, I asked him to leave / get out of my apartment 4 - 5 times, but he refused.
My question is: Did the officer violate my rights, and, if so, how, if at all, should I pursue the matter?

As an act of ongoing harassment, my downstairs neighbor called the police to complain about noise in my apartment at 12:45 am while I was asleep. At 2:45 am the police banged on my door, woke me up, explained the complaint and asked if they could come into my apartment. I said no, but one of the officers took a step into my apartment leaving him with one foot in and one foot out in the landing. This prevented me from closing the door. I asked him to leave, but he refused and stood there looking around my apartment and commenting on various observations for about 5 - 10 minutes until they cleared the call and left. In total, I asked him to leave / get out of my apartment 4 - 5 times, but he refused.
My question is: Did the officer violate my rights, and, if so, how, if at all, should I pursue the matter?

Only a court can determine if your rights were violated after the matter has been tried.

The violations of one's rights isn't subject to a declarative act.

Back