Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Police entered home and search, no warrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbsteveo

a friend of mine answered his door of his apartment in Long Beach, Ca. There were 2 officers asking for his friend Scotty (on probation), who was staying with him since his release from jail for selling meth (2nd offence). Scott went to the door and was told to step outside, when he opened the door both officers pushed him back into the apartment and followed him inside. They said the reason they were there was because there has been an increase in stolen vehicles by local drug dealers. They asked Scott where his belongings were. He pointed to a spot where his things were stacked. They searched his things and found a scale and some new baggies. No drugs. They then continued to search my friends entire apartment and found a bag with half a gram of meth. They were both arrested, Scott for sales and my friend for possession. My question is: was it legal for them to enter his home without permission and without a search warrent (because his guest was on probation?) My friend is a music teacher for grade school kids and is concerned for his job. He has never been arrested or been in jail in his 50 years. Is this the price he will have to pay for helping someone with a place to stay. He has to appear in court this Monday. Should he get a lawyer. Any idea what he should prepare for?
Thanks in advance for any input you may provide.
Regards,
lbsteveo

Yes the search was legal. If found guilty it would unfortunately affect his job. The law assumes he ought to have kicked him out or turned him it if he was dealing with drugs. There is a high standard on adults because it is believed we ought to know what is right and act accordingly even if we are just helping. He should not cooperate or give them any statements. He should get a lawyer to do all the talking and assessment. His lawyer would help him prepare. At this point I can't tell you more without knowing all the evidence and circumstance. Your best bet is to get a lawyer giving the gravity of the situation and the current state.Cdwjava(carl) on this forum is very experienced with CA law.........contact him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back