Police claimed bus driver saw me not stop

Legal Question

Jurisdiction
Maine
I woke up this morning and went to get into my car to go to work. As I went outside, a police officer stated/asked my name and when I replied "yes?", she walked up to me (on my property) and asked if I'd driven past a school bus recently while the bus stop lights were on. I said no, but I'm not he only one that drives my car. She said that a bus driver saw a man with glasses in a car of my car's description with my license plate drive past the bus while the lights were on. I told her this didn't occur and the driver must have been mistaken, but again I'm not the only one that drives my vehicle. I told her I'm not usually in that area during that time of day anyway. She had already written and ticket before talking to me, so she just handed me the ticket ($326) and stated she was charging me and I was lucky it wasn't a misdemeanor charge. I told her I would contest the charge since I didn't do this. After my encounter with the officer concluded, I looked at my calendar and realized I actually had dropped my daughter off at school on the date in question. However, since that was the only day I've driven her to school thus far this year, I remembered that day clearly and I remember that there were lots of cars, kids and buses, but no buses with their lights on or a stop sign out. I'm certain I didn't do what the bus driver and police officer are accusing me of and I'm concerned, because the police officer had written the ticket ahead of time and assumed I was guilty just from the word of the bus driver. What should I do? Due to the increasing cost of living and COVID, I'm already struggling to climb out of debt and I can't afford a lawyer, let alone the ticket.

Thanks!

What should I do?

Appear in court as instructed, plead not guilty when called, tell your story.

If you're adjudicated guilty, ask the court if payment arrangements are possible as you can't pay $326 at one time. If you were allowed to pay 1/4 of $326 ($81.50 every month), if allowed four months to pay in full {for illustration purposes, you need to determine WHAT you can afford}.

If the bus driver is not in court to identify you and testify, ask that the ticket be dismissed. The officer did not witness the violation. And the officer telling the court what she was told by the driver is hearsay and should not be admissible.

But if you wear glasses, were there at the time, and they have the correct license plate number you may be out of luck.

Back