POA durable Mother has Alzheimers

paintgram

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
My Mother was diagnosed in 2009 with Alzheimers. Let me preface this with there is NO money and that is not what this is about. My shady sisters have pulled several fast ones. My Mom is now in a facility in OH, I took her there. The sisters wanted to leave her alone in SC with no family to advocate for her. They had gone so far as to find a nursing home. I called and stopped it. I went to SC, got her and took her to OH where 2 of her 4 surviving children live. Right after my brother passed in 2013 they went in and made my brother-in-law POA and my sister his wife. I knew nothing and I am the oldest and the one that always took care of everything. My Mother remembers nothing of this. It started getting ugly, the sister were trying to keep my brother and I from getting medical info on Mom. Also, they were not going to visit. I was going 2 to 3 times a year. I live in PA (550 mile drive one way) They went after my brother passed and took things that they shouldn't have ..her wedding bands, she literally cried over it and said they stole her rings. I went down and to even out the field, had her make my surviving brother POA & executor of her will in 2014 and I felt iffy about that. I just found out that these two sisters went down again in Oct and removed all that I did and made themselves POA and executor. The lawyer that did it knew better. My Mother was hallucinating & seeing babies & kids.
Here is what is happening and it may seem trivial to you all, but it isn't to me. When I went down to get her and take her to OH, because my diphead brother -in-law (he is a POA too) told me I had 2 wks and then they were placing her in a home in SC where she had NO family, My son and I changed the locks as she had given keys them to everyone. Everything went fine while I went thru hell transporting her with meltdowns to OH. I left belongings in her house and things she promised me, plus things my kids and grand kids had made for her along the year, believing I was going back. Well, my sister had the cousin change the lock and they are cleaning out my Mother's house, I have belongings there, I left my diamond band, clothing and clutter ( the kid things) paintings I did in HS. They are now de-cluttering the house. I am devastated and they will not respond. They have blocked me. That house holds memories from my life that are irreplaceable. What accountability do they have? I don't want money just what is mine in memories & clutter & some furniture. Please tell me they have some kind of accountability. How would you like a cousin clearing out your Mother's house. I have crazy running the show and I don't know how this happened. I am the oldest and the one that always stepped up and took care of it all. Is there any hope at all?

Nobody MAKES themselves POA. The person giving them POA has to sign the papers.

If you want anything to change you will have to hire an attorney (probably in Ohio) and seek guardianship or conservatorship over your mother while proving that she was not competent to sign POAs.

Once a court has awarded you conservatorship or guardianship you can sue your sibling for any wrongdoing if you want to.

Unless you are willing to litigate, you'll have to resign yourself to the status quo.

A POA is very often a license to steal.
A POA doesn't give you the right to rule another person and run ramshod over them, either.
Very often a POA imputes to many uneducated people, and the shyster far more power and sway than a POA was ever intended to have.
A senior citizen isn't property over which greedy sons and daughters fight.
Being the eldest sibling offers you no special abilities or powers over the younger siblings.
I, too, am the oldest sibling.
As the eldest child, as a child it only brought me grief when our parents returned after going to run some errant the younger ones had misbehaved.
As adults, it means nothing in our modern day system of laws, as does gender.

As suggested, if you believe your elderly mother requires someone to make decisions for her, you'll need to go to court and request to be appointed guardian or conservator.
Its the same thing, just a different form of address in different states.
Your lawyer will have to prove that your mother is incapable of running her own affairs.
Just because someone sees babies, bunnies, and lollipops doesn't alone mean that mother's faculties have deteriorated sufficient to make her incapable of running her life.
My father-in-law dies at age 102.
He had his wits about him until his last breath, and there was no discussion about any of his children needing to be his guardian.
In fact, after learning what it meant, the family chose to avoid it and work togther to see his well being.

In many families, greed drives this discussion.
When people procure a POA without benefit of discussing it with others, its primary purpose is to steal.

Others see items being pilfered, they too, want that same power.
Reread your post, I'll let you determine if greed is present in one of its many forms.

Legally a POA is useless, other in its durable POA for medical purposes.
We had a son who was injured during an automobile collision by drunk driver, uninsured, illegal alien in 2001.
He was furthered injured in a surgery acquiring a noxious brain injury, and lapsed into an 11 year coma.
My wife became his principal conservator, and our daughter his secondary (if something should happen to my wife).
His funds were placed into a trust, administered by a major bank.
Those funds came from a lawsuit I won against the hospital and the anesthesiologist who demolished the kid's life.
The reminder of those funds went to his daughters, he was divorced, upon his expiration in 2011.
The money sits there today, minus what they used for their college educations.
It will be released equally to each granddaughter upon their 30th birthday.

You want to protect mother and her stuff, take the matter to court.
Your status as the oldest sibling is legally irrelevant.

I wish the best for your mother, and let's hope she gets back to normalcy soon.
If not, she will walk among the angels if the unspeakable happens.

My mother and father both succumbed to Alzheimer's.
It is a devastating disease.
You'll need to go to court and seek to become her guardian.
Once you become the guardian, you can possibly stop the thievery and skullduggery.
Assuming, of course, the thieves haven't cleaned he rout.

A POA is very often a license to steal.
A POA doesn't give you the right to rule another person and run ramshod over them, either.
Very often a POA imputes to many uneducated people, and the shyster far more power and sway than a POA was ever intended to have.
A senior citizen isn't property over which greedy sons and daughters fight.
Being the eldest sibling offers you no special abilities or powers over the younger siblings.
I, too, am the oldest sibling.
As the eldest child, as a child it only brought me grief when our parents returned after going to run some errant the younger ones had misbehaved.
As adults, it means nothing in our modern day system of laws, as does gender.

As suggested, if you believe your elderly mother requires someone to make decisions for her, you'll need to go to court and request to be appointed guardian or conservator.
Its the same thing, just a different form of address in different states.
Your lawyer will have to prove that your mother is incapable of running her own affairs.
Just because someone sees babies, bunnies, and lollipops doesn't alone mean that mother's faculties have deteriorated sufficient to make her incapable of running her life.
My father-in-law dies at age 102.
He had his wits about him until his last breath, and there was no discussion about any of his children needing to be his guardian.
In fact, after learning what it meant, the family chose to avoid it and work togther to see his well being.

In many families, greed drives this discussion.
When people procure a POA without benefit of discussing it with others, its primary purpose is to steal.

Others see items being pilfered, they too, want that same power.
Reread your post, I'll let you determine if greed is present in one of its many forms.

Legally a POA is useless, other in its durable POA for medical purposes.
We had a son who was injured during an automobile collision by drunk driver, uninsured, illegal alien in 2001.
He was furthered injured in a surgery acquiring a noxious brain injury, and lapsed into an 11 year coma.
My wife became his principal conservator, and our daughter his secondary (if something should happen to my wife).
His funds were placed into a trust, administered by a major bank.
Those funds came from a lawsuit I won against the hospital and the anesthesiologist who demolished the kid's life.
The reminder of those funds went to his daughters, he was divorced, upon his expiration in 2011.
The money sits there today, minus what they used for their college educations.
It will be released equally to each granddaughter upon their 30th birthday.

You want to protect mother and her stuff, take the matter to court.
Your status as the oldest sibling is legally irrelevant.

I wish the best for your mother, and let's hope she gets back to normalcy soon.
If not, she will walk among the angels if the unspeakable happens.

My mother and father both succumbed to Alzheimer's.
It is a devastating disease.
You'll need to go to court and seek to become her guardian.
Once you become the guardian, you can possibly stop the thievery and skullduggery.
Assuming, of course, the thieves haven't cleaned he rout.

Thank you so much for your response. I am confident I could take them to court and win, especially since they took her in Oct 2016 & she was delusional at that point. I have considered filing ethics charges on the attorney. He has been involved since the beginning and knew she was not competent. I guess I refer to the oldest, as I have always been the one who has done it all.
They are doing the de-cluttering now and by the time I got a lawyer and to court, it will be all over. It is just a nasty situation. The cousin put my son's clothes in a garbage bag put his toothbrush on top and then put my deceased brother's old shoes on top of the toothbrush. None of my clothes, my diamond band ...I am sure I have lost that. I guess I was hoping that they had to be accountable for their actions I have written numerous emails & texts and I am blocked. It appears I am just going to have to accept what is happening and move on. .
Thank you all for your time in responding to my questions.

Thank you so much for your response. I am confident I could take them to court and win, especially since they took her in Oct 2016 & she was delusional at that point. I have considered filing ethics charges on the attorney. He has been involved since the beginning and knew she was not competent. I guess I refer to the oldest, as I have always been the one who has done it all.
They are doing the de-cluttering now and by the time I got a lawyer and to court, it will be all over. It is just a nasty situation. The cousin put my son's clothes in a garbage bag put his toothbrush on top and then put my deceased brother's old shoes on top of the toothbrush. None of my clothes, my diamond band ...I am sure I have lost that. I guess I was hoping that they had to be accountable for their actions I have written numerous emails & texts and I am blocked. It appears I am just going to have to accept what is happening and move on. .
Thank you all for your time in responding to my questions.

You don't have to take it, nor do you have to abandon your mother to these scavenger jackals.

Talk to a couple elder lawyers, or even general practice lawyers.
Ask about obtaining legal guardianship of your mother.
If you get legal guardianship, you'll be your mother's voice.
You'll be able to keep the scavenger jackals away from her.
She needs you, so do it for her.
We all deserve to live and die in dignity.
You can make sure your mother isn't based during her golden years.

Back