POA details

samspruce

I am being forced to sign over a POA in order to continue receiving financial aid from my father. Our relationship has been/is screwed up, a lot of mistrust and toxicity involved in the past, but I know he will not screw me over by being my POA, but he will definitely use it to whatever advantage he can.

What exactly can he do? Can he make decisions if I am CLEARLY mentally competent? Can he get any financial information that he wishes? Aren't these created for people who are unable to handle their own financial/health needs? Basically, what can he hold over me, assuming I am mentally well, etc.

Also, can I revoke this at anytime and at what cost?

I mean... Should I even be signing this thing? Remember I am physically (and mentally, though getting better) sick, and it would be extremely hard financially to do this on my own for the time being.

Thanks.

I am being forced to sign over a POA in order to continue receiving financial aid from my father.

This is not force. You apparently do have a choice. If you want dad's money then follow dad's rules, otherwise get your money somewhere else.

What exactly can he do?

This would be indicated in the documents you are asked to sign. Typically these only take effect when you are unable or unavailable to do so yourself, or by court order.

Yes, so long as you are mentally competent, and for virtually nothing.

I mean... Should I even be signing this thing?

Probably not, but if your options are limited do what you must.

I assume the purpose is to monitor and control finances to ensure the money is not squandered. Read the documents and decide for yourself of the terms are acceptable.

Just know it is not your only choice... It is probably the only easy choice. Other options require government involvement and more effort on your part to become independent.

I am being forced to sign over a POA in order to continue receiving financial aid from my father. Our relationship has been/is screwed up, a lot of mistrust and toxicity involved in the past, but I know he will not screw me over by being my POA, but he will definitely use it to whatever advantage he can.

What exactly can he do? Can he make decisions if I am CLEARLY mentally competent? Can he get any financial information that he wishes? Aren't these created for people who are unable to handle their own financial/health needs? Basically, what can he hold over me, assuming I am mentally well, etc.

I mean... Should I even be signing this thing? Remember I am physically (and mentally, though getting better) sick, and it would be extremely hard financially to do this on my own for the time being.

Thanks.

I see you're posting from Manitoba in Canada.

I suggest you ask your questions of one of the solicitors near you.

Canadian and US laws bear little resemblance, other than their formation based on old English common law.

The answers based on US laws are probably quite divergent from Canadian laws.

No one on this site is believed to know much about Canadian laws, no lawyers that is.

I see you're posting from Manitoba in Canada.

I suggest you ask your questions of one of the solicitors near you.

Canadian and US laws bear little resemblance, other than their formation based on old English common law.

The answers based on US laws are probably quite divergent from Canadian laws.

No one on this site is believed to know much about Canadian laws, no lawyers that is.

Solicitors?

Where would I get (free) legal advice?

Thanks.

I am being forced to sign over a POA in order to continue receiving financial aid from my father.

A power of attorney ("POA") is a document by which one person (the principal) gives another person (the agent or attorney-in-fact) authority to engage in transactions on the principal's behalf with third persons. That being said, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you are "being forced to sign over a POA." Are you saying that your father is conditioning further "financial aid" on you signing a POA that names him as your agent? If so, what is the purpose of the POA (not all POAs are the same)? Is this financial aid for school or something else? How old are you?

What exactly can he do? Can he make decisions if I am CLEARLY mentally competent? Can he get any financial information that he wishes?

Depends on what the POA says. As noted above, they're not all the same.

Aren't these created for people who are unable to handle their own financial/health needs?

That is a common situation in which a POA is used. However, as a matter of convenience, I could sign a POA that gives my agent in another state authority that is limited to a particular business transaction.

can I revoke this at anytime and at what cost?

A POA can be revoked at any time unless it is triggered by your physical or mental incapacity, in which case it can only be revoked once you regain capacity.

Should I even be signing this thing?

I don't know. It appears that your father won't continue giving you "financial aid" if you don't, so you may have a Hobson's choice on your hands.

it would be extremely hard financially to do this on my own for the time being.

To do what on your own?

Back