Pledge of Allegiance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofumaster

I'm a highschool student and i've been having trouble concerning the Pledge of Allegiance. Recently, i've decided to not stand during the pledge for various reasons, but my teacher told me I have no choice but to atleast stand. Is there a law stating that I have to stand? I though a student had the right to sit during the pledge. If not, doesn't that somehow violate the first amendment?

What is your beef with the pledge?

I don't really mind the actual pledge itself, but I think the fact that students saying the pledge everyday for 12 or 13 years is a little ridiculous. I don't think students should feel forced to do it.
Do reasons come into play though?

Yes reasons come into play I wont tell you what they are basically it sounds like you are lazy and don't want to stand up. Have you discussed this with your parents?
Please review this before this continues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPbIls0iOnI

Nope. It's a free country. There's no law that requires you to stand. And when you're old enough, there's no law that requires you to stay in this country either if that's what you choose. Isn't freedom wonderful?

First, the Pledge of Allegiance is a form of government indoctrination. If you are a true patriot, there is no earthly reason why you need to chant the government mantra daily, your actions and non-actions as an American speak for themselves.

Second, under the Bill of Rights, you have a constitutionally protected right NOT to chant the Pledge of Allegiance and to sit or stand as you wish while it is being recited by others. I do however, strongly recommend that you respect others who may or may not hold other beliefs.

Third, you may have other thoughts about the Pledge of Allegiance once you read what someone else has researched about its origins. It is of course, up to you to decide if the research provided by the link below is factual or not, I have my own thoughts on the subject but I won't elaborate here.

http://rexcurry.net/pledgesalute.html

While there is no legal requirement you stand and even say the pledge, the school does have a right to prohibit disruptive activity. If your act of NOT standing is causing a disruption in the class, then you might face potential penalties.

And, of course, any derision you might suffer at the hands of those who do at least respect the pledge by standing or reciting it is the right of those people, to.

As for the last pledge link ... oh brother ... Mr. Curry is a little out there.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back