Please Read - Working Man's Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike46

Hello to all – I have worked at factories for over 25 years. 3 years at a non union plant and 21 years at a union plant. I can tell you that union plant offers more involvement with workers as far as representing you when you are meetings with the company and also working with the company to promote safety programs that benefit both the company and the workers. I am new to this web site but so far what I have seen is a lot of advice from people who seem to be more involved in giving you information based on there role as a company representative. The company or employer never has your best interest in mind when dealing with WC. There are too many other people involved like the WC carrier and the insurance companies not to mention the corporate lawyers who will be giving advice to your HR department or WC carrier on how to handle your case. The main goal of the Company or Employer is to get out of paying any bills or giving you a fair settlement on your WC case. They will drag out the time it takes to handle the case and hope that you get tired of waiting on a resolution or they may just deny all bills and wait you out until you can't afford to pay all the health cost you may have built up over time, then you have the health care providers calling you wanting payment also. They may low ball you with an offer just to drop the case which at this time may sound good because you may or may not be at work and need money. This gets them out of paying for the medical bills and any settlement you may be entitled to. My advice as a worker who understands what many of you may be going through is to immediately contact a WC Attorney you will offer you free consultation on your case, you can choose to talk to more than one, most WC attorneys know the laws which vary from state to state and can advise you on simple things like Do you have to treat with the company doctor, in some states you may have to but not all so if that's the case why would you want to treat with the company doctor you know who they are working for and its not you. You need to find out all your rights from your lawyer on your state WC laws and also any OSHA violation your Employer may be liable for in your injury.
If you are called into meeting about your case and you don't have a union take your own notes dates, times, people attending and what is said, they may not like the fact that you are doing that, if need be take mental notes and write them down as soon as you can. All this information you keep records of may help you down the road if you end up in WC court. Relay all information to your attorney if you get one and once you do the company should be talking to your attorney not you. Don't except any calls at home from WC carrier or any one else involved in your case there is a time and place for investigations and the phone with a recorder on the other end is not the time. Politely ask them to set up a meeting with you at work or at your lawyer's office and ask them not to call your home again. I hope that out of this post you may have learned or want to find out more information on how to handle your case. I have been out there working like many of you and injured on the job I know its not easy dealing with WC so my advice to you is only be careful and protect yourself, contact an attorney as fast as you can open the phone book, and also learn the laws of your state check the internet for state laws on WC. Last of all be very careful if you are going to take any advice from someone on a post that reflects the attitude and approach of being a company representative or HR manager.

Good luck on your cases, I wish you all well and hope that those injured workers know that someone out here does care about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back