Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Please help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicdan87

This might sound sort of rediculous, however I am only 22 yrs old, I have never been in any trouble with the law so I really dont know what to do about this. Last week I went into the city to have my hair done at an upscale salon, I was quoted one price on the phone and then was told it was way more due to the amount of hair I had, Embarressed that I did not have enough money I left, I still cant believe that I did but I did. The salon apparently called the police because about 5 days later I recieved a private phone call from a Detective from the 18th precint asking me how my hair came out, Scared out of my mind which I have been since I left I told him that it was not me, He started asking me if I had facebook which I found odd, but he asked me to come in and see him tomorrow morning so that he can take me to the salon and therefore pretty much prove me wrong, Thinking about it over and over, I changed my phone number,deleted my facebook account, they do not have any other info about me other then the fact that I live in Staten Island and work in the Staten Island mall, WHAT SHOULD I DO, I just got a huge promotion and cant risk being arrested over this stupid decision, I dont know what to do and cannot relax until I do

Last edited:
about 400, that was the problem I was told 200, and i was so embarressed to not have enough that I just left, never in my life imagining it would come to this, I have not told a soul due to how mortified I am.

WHAT SHOULD I DO

Such an easy question to answer!! You locate $400 by emptying your bank account and/or borrowing from a friend or relative. You return to the salon and pay the bill. Get a receipt.

Do this BEFORE they find you.

Do Not mention about having received a phonecall from a detective.

Simply tell the salon you are here to pay on an outstanding debt. They won't refuse the payment.

You may also wish to leave a decent tip. :D

Last edited:
Changing your number and facebook will not keep them from iding you its too late! You need to talk to a lawyer and answer no Police question with one prsent. Depending on NY law you might be looking at felony charges

This might sound sort of rediculous, however I am only 22 yrs old, I have never been in any trouble with the law so I really dont know what to do about this. Last week I went into the city to have my hair done at an upscale salon, I was quoted one price on the phone and then was told it was way more due to the amount of hair I had, Embarressed that I did not have enough money I left, I still cant believe that I did but I did. The salon apparently called the police because about 5 days later I recieved a private phone call from a Detective from the 18th precint asking me how my hair came out, Scared out of my mind which I have been since I left I told him that it was not me, He started asking me if I had facebook which I found odd, but he asked me to come in and see him tomorrow morning so that he can take me to the salon and therefore pretty much prove me wrong, Thinking about it over and over, I changed my phone number,deleted my facebook account, they do not have any other info about me other then the fact that I live in Staten Island and work in the Staten Island mall, WHAT SHOULD I DO, I just got a huge promotion and cant risk being arrested over this stupid decision, I dont know what to do and cannot relax until I do

Nothing, not a doggone thing ever gets deleted once it reaches the internet.

I doubt, very seriously, that a police detective called you; not an NYPD detective.

That isn't how they roll.

But, if you wanna know for sure, find a payphone.

Call the 18th Precinct and ask for Detective Blood Hound.

If Detective Blood Hound answers, you can hang up and no one is the wiser.
Or, you can say, "This is Suzy Runaway. I heard you been looking for me."
I'd choose option one.

But, Florida Riptide gave you the best answer.
Call the salon and ask how much you owe.
You could say you didn't skip out, but took ill.
That's why you had to rush off the other day.
(Or, you got a text and it said your Auntie 'Em just fell very ill.)
Anyway, pay them their damn money.
There just might be a real Detective Blood Hound sniffing around looking for you.

Last edited:
You should have at least paid the $200 that you had. Having done so would have made this a civil matter for the court.
Having run off and paid nothing, what you did was essentially a theft, just as if you went into the grocery store and stolen 400 candy bars.
If the amount you owe is over $400, you have likely committed a felony. Pay what you owe before you get yourself a criminal record over your hair.... and dang! Why are you spending so much on your hair anyway??? Jeez....

Oh ya... if they called you on the phone then they already know who you are. Unless you plan on changing your name and relocating with some false ID to start a new life, they will find you quite easily.

I agree but if they have already filed a repor tan dthen drop it their relatinship with Law Enforcement could be damaged. My husband as seen retail theft cases where a retailer contacts Police gets them involved then drops or refuses to particpate any longer. What happens then is Police repsond much slower if called again

Thanks everyone, so I called and made up an excuse as to why I left, they were actually very nice, I told them I will be in to pay tomorrow and that it took a week because I was very embarressed, I figured at this point honesty is the best policy, now heres the tricky part, they told me they know nothingg about any detective contacting me, now that detective does exist at the 18th precint, and NOT A SOUL knew what I did to call me as a joke, what the hell is that?

They likely made a police report, but they would not know the details of the police actions after that.
Make your payment and be sure to get a receipt. Once you have a receipt, keep it, and provide it to the detective if he should call again. A receipt will make him go away forever.

Thanks everyone, so I called and made up an excuse as to why I left, they were actually very nice, I told them I will be in to pay tomorrow and that it took a week because I was very embarressed, I figured at this point honesty is the best policy, now heres the tricky part, they told me they know nothingg about any detective contacting me, now that detective does exist at the 18th precint, and NOT A SOUL knew what I did to call me as a joke, what the hell is that?

I've seen this movie before.
The aggrieved person suddenly becomes very nice and cooperative.
The alleged wrong doer shows up, and presto, they get arrested.
Or, they delay the alleged wrong doer when they arrive to pay, and a few minutes later; Detective Blood Hound and the Dog Pound appear!
Trap?
You never know.

New York has many messenger services.
Some people use those messenger services to deliver cashier's checks.
The messenger is bonded.
The service will provide proof of delivery and the messenger can't get caught, if the TRAP is sprung!

I would'nt have mentioned the phone call from the police. What about paying with credit or debit card over the phone to them?

now im scared to go in, i dont have a credit card, and i was supposed to go meet and talk with this detective at 10 oclock ...what do i do, do call him? bc i told him that it was not me, and not that i made arrangments with the salon it obviously is me, cant i get in to trouble for lying?

If you set up appointment to talk to Dective you should go. However admit to nothing and say nothing. Request to exercise your right to an Attorney during questioning

If you set up appointment to talk to Dective you should go. However admit to nothing and say nothing. Request to exercise your right to an Attorney during questioning

but the reason he wants me to go he said is so he can take me to the salon and prove its not me, i already called the salon and figured that all out, my mother is coming with me to pay, i just called them and asked if they minded me paying over the phone they said absolutely not whatevers easiest and they will ax the reciept to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back