Please help me on this Information Subpoena!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCGuy

I just received an information subpoena from an attorney who has a judgment against a debtor, the defendant. The attorney says that he linked the debtor's SS# to my company through the Social Security Administration Office saying that the debtor is employed by my company. I am dumbfounded at this because I never had employees in my company. I am the owner and do not have any employees. What is an information subpoena for? If I fill out the questions on the information subpoena, will I be required to go to court to provide proof that the debtor is not employed by my company? If so, I don't know what kind of proof can be sufficient because I have no employee records since I have never employed anyone. Also, what actions could I take to resolve the false claim by the debtor that he is employed by my company? Any advice would be of great help. Thank you!

Well, first you only have to do what the subpoena says. If it is only a questionnaire then you fill in the questionnaire. If the attorney thinks he needs you as a witness in court, he will say so. You fill in the questionnaire thruthfully. If you never had such an employee you say so. It is the attorney's job then to figure out that conflicting information. If he needs to know more from you he will tell you.

The reason for the conflicting information can be simple, the SSA gives each employer an employer identification number, if they got one digit wrong that is all they need to give out the wrong information.

Thanks NYClex for answering my question. But would I need to contact the SSA about the conflicting information or is this just a mistake on their part for giving out the wrong information which I don't need to worry about?
Thanks again!

you don't really have to as long as the SSA is not requesting withholding payments etc. from you. But of course you can out of curiosity to find out what exactly is going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back