Please Help?...Adult Child Support Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksummers777

i need help. my daughter who is 18 recently had a baby. delaware law states that i must continue to pay support until she turns 19 or graduates from high school. i filed a motion to have support revoked because as of December 2007 she was not enrolled anywhere. i don't have contact with her (her choice) or her mother (her choice) so i don't know if she is enrolled now or not. i was denied revoking because the courts allowed a sworn testimony by the mother that my daughter was enrolled without proof that she is. How do i legally go about finding out if my daughter is enrolled in school?

Also, i have been told by the child support agency case worker that she is also receiving assistance from the state...i.e. WIC, welfare money and healthcare. should i still be paying under these circumstances?

Help

Having a baby does not emancipate a child, so you must pay until she is 19 it sounds like.

Emancipation

In Indiana, child support continues until 21 unless you can prove certain things. We proved the first three things. Her mother was trying to say she lived with her and was going to school. But she couldn't prove it. We got her emancipated. Ex got him for six months. We even had to change venue because other judge said she wasn't on her own.

The child:
A. is at least 18
B. has not attended high school or college for the prior four months of filing for emancipation or is not enrolled for either
C. is or is capable of supporting themselves through employment
D. married
E. armed forces
F. there is more but not sure what they are

I would check your state's guidelines on emancipation. I would see an attorney if you haven't all ready.

Good Luck,
gearhart7

You can get the transcript of the sworn testimony [maybe the schools name is in the transcript) and you can start looking at schools closest to were your daughter lives.

Just call the school or schools nearest to her to verify that she is enrolled at said school.

Call school: Hi "your name" I am calling to verify that my daughter is going to school.

"Be Nice"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back