Please advice!?

Breeana C

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I was involved in an accident in July 2013. I hit a truck from the back. In September 2013 i was found not guilty in traffic court. The car i was driving was not my own, however it was insured. In January 2015 the insurance company of the vehicle i hit sued me. The case was never seen before a judge, instead i spoke with a representative from th law firm who told me my license would be suspended if I did not schedule to make monthly payments. I began making monthly payments in February 2015. Recently i have been talking to people about my situation, who are not lawyers, and they did not believe i should have to pay if i was found not at fault for the situation and that they don't have the authority to suspend my license. I stopped paying in October. Now my bank account has been garnished and my license is suspended. I don't know what to do. Should i just pay them? Should i try to get a court hearing? Please, if you have any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated!!!!

You need to discuss this with a lawyer.
The only lawful way to attach your bank account is via a judgment.
Talk to your bank's management IN PERSON and ask under what authority is your bank forking over cash from your account to the insurance company?

As far as everything else, you should talk to a lawyer, not people who aren't lawyers, or even Internet forums.
You also need to contact your state's driver licensing agency to discover WHY your drivers license was suspended.
There are things that don't add up.

Good luck, Merry Christmas.

The insurance company that insured the car on the date of the accident should have been defending you (or paying) from day one of the lawsuit.

I suggest you also contact that insurance company and see if there is anything they can do about it at this late date.

You should know, however, that traffic citations and negligence are two different things. Beating the traffic citation doesn't mean you weren't negligent in rear-ending the other vehicle.

Had you reported the accident and the lawsuit to that insurance company at the time, you wouldn't be having the problems that you are having today.

Back