PIP without warning with many questions attached

Appalachia

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I have been working for an IT company for 6 1/2 years and Thursday out of nowhere I was slammed with PIP on a Project that I did 7 months ago.

Now just a quick little background on this company, the company has a reputation of never doing their yearly review on the time it is always 3-5 months behind (and no they don't do back pay). I never ever heard them do a PIP before, this is new and I guess I am the first sucker. They just moved a new team lead into my department and he has not much knowledge of the department as well. However, this is coming from the top. The CEO or COO does not like me very much.

Now a little glimpse of me. In the 6 1/2 years, I never have been written up or in any way have done a bad job. All my reviews were excellent and I am a reliable hard worker. I am not the best or fastest IT in the group, but I am a solid consistent worker and I have a lot of knowledge which on its own has a lot of value. 2 years ago around my yearly review time, the CEO decided to hold my pay because he did not like how one of the projects worked out. Now that project was delayed not because of me but other circumstances however it was me that had to take the blame. Now my review is up again, well it is been 4 months late, and instead of getting it and a thank you for all the overtime and the weekends I worked on it, I get a PIP. In the time that I did the project till now which is now 7 months nobody had ever come to me and said your performance and work is really going downhill we need to talk about it?

That said, what can I do, what should I do, should I sign this PIP or not? I know what they are doing is firing me there is no way around it. I asked for details on what I had done wrong and I was not given any so far, just an email your PIP will have the details. Well, where is it?

I don't think they are correct, they have really hurt me and done me wrong ....... again. I don't want to take this a second time.

My question is also if they fire me with a PIP can I still claim unemployment, I live in Tennessee? With COVID and all that it's not like I can just run out there and get another job right away.

My question is also if they fire me with a PIP can I still claim unemployment

Probably. Poor performance doesn't disqualify you for unemployment.

With COVID and all that it's not like I can just run out there and get another job right away.

Well, you'd better start looking right away. It seems like your days are numbered.

should I sign this PIP or not?

Signing or not signing doesn't change the fact that you're on it. Not signing will probably get you fired sooner. Signing (playing the long game) will give you time to seek employment elsewhere.

I don't think they are correct, they have really hurt me and done me wrong ..

Don't take it personally. That's the reality of how work works.

There is no legal requirement that they do performance reviews at all, let alone at any particular time. There is no requirement that they increase your pay at all, let alone retroactively. There is no particular time frame under which they are required to manage a PIP.

It doesn't sound like very good management but no one is violating any laws or protected rights. And you can be fired for refusing to sign a PIP, whether you agree with it or not.

Back