Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Phone harassment =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused1234

I know this is a tad long and full of highschool like drama....but ive never been in anything like this, so i could really use help!

state - Illinois

So i was with this girl on and off for over a year and a half. And long story short we where still seeing eachother but it was very shaky. So we hung up on the phone on night, with the intention of probably hanging out the next day. But when i called she didnt answer. I continued to call over the next 5-6 days, sometimes a few times a day to try and figure out what was going on.

Next thing i know im out drinking with my buddies ((more drunk that i probably should have been)) and i get a call from the police saying i need to stop calling her. Both because of my drunkness and defiance i called her back right then anyway......for all i know that could have been her friend that called and said they were the police ( wouldnt be the first time her friends called me ). The 2 days later i find out from a legal advertisement letter that i have an arrest warrant out for phone harassment, with no warning. So i had to post a hefty bond and now i have to go to court for it.

Meanwhile, the day i got the warrant/ took care of it....i got a letter from her in the mail a page and a half typed in all caps yelling at me. In the letter was also a condom, which was not explained in the letter.....which was creepy to say the least. 2 days after that letter i got another one that was 4 1/2 pages long typed that explained she was going through a tough time, and how she couldnt answer my phone calls because she got panic attacks when i called and almost fell over in the elevator**************.and other such things to suggest she wasnt all there mentally at the time. They were both postmarked about a day before the warrant....

So due to the fact that she never told me taht she didnt want me to call her herself, and the long relationship and everything thrown into the mix**************.is there a good chance i can just get this thrown out in court if i fight it? ...I mean i was still receiving letters from her and stuff, and just never heard from her on the phone randomly....

The thing i am most worried about though, is a message i stupidly left her on night saying, "i really need you to call me back and let me know whats going on i havent heard from you, or im going to come find you....and your not going to like it." .... was not and wasnt meant to be a physical threat (( i would NEVER actually do anything like that)), i just seriously was going to go look for her because i didnt know what happened or if she was ok, and i was going to mad and probably yell at her because i was very upset. That being said, i understand it falls under the "indirect threat" and courts dont look to kindly on that sort of thing**************but in this whole mess thats the only thing i did that i think i have to worry about.

I know its only a criminal misdemeanor, but how serious could it be? ...Do i need a lawyer? Can i fight this one on my own?

I really appreciate any helpful advice

Any arrest record is always important and could affect your future employment. Never underestimate any such offense even a misdemeanor. Your story is complex and requires you get lawyer ASAP to represent you. If you can't afford one, the court will assign you a PD. Private lawyers are generally more aggressive and better. Don't attempt to defend yourself due to the consequences which could stay on your record and affect your live. Only someone with information and evidence of both parties can give you good legal advice in such a case. There is a lot of help you can get here on issues about your case……………But about what to do now, get a lawyer ASAP and don't discuss elements of the case with anyone…….You never know who can turn and testify or leak detrimental info about your case……...

Talked to a lawyer hes said that if i just plead guilty on the charge that i would get court supervision and a minimum fine.

...does this sound like the best option?

If i get court supervision it wouldnt ever appear on my record correct?

Anything short of a finding of "not guilty" would be on your record. A dismissal of the charge is another option which can be expunged. Pleading no contest or guilty might be expungeable after a certain period of time, but would be there until expunction is complete. I would say, get a second opinion from a lawyer who reviews all the evidence and sees if you can beat the charge. Having a record should be your last option not the first alternative. Get advice from at least 3 lawyers and make an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back