Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Petty theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubleup

I know there have been tons of threads about petty theft so I'll keep this one short. I was in Florida on vacation and got busted liftin $40 in merchandise. I'm originally from Missouri, so I'm going to have to fly back to Florida to go to court. Does anyone know if it would just be cheaper for me to get a lawyer and have him go to court for me? All together for me to go down would be around $400 after it's all said and done, minus the fines for the violatoin. I've contacted some lawyers only one has returned my call and he wants a $1,500 retainer fee, something I can't afford. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

The only way you can find out is by calling attorneys. But I doubt that you will get it cheaper than $ 400.

I, personally, wouldn't get a lawyer to defend this petty crime. This is a speck of a crime to the courts, believe me. They are simply going to make you pay a fine and perhaps give you community service and unsupervised probation. My opinion is: Don't waste your money on an attorney for this.

The punishment is short term. In the long term, the criminal record is more important. If your jurisdiction has pre-trial diversion or deferred adjudication, how easy is it to get it if you don't have a lawyer help you?

Petty Theft 60$

What should one plead during an arraignment?
Will that individual get convicted?
I mean if you are found guilty, you are going to be convicted anywys right?
What are the out somes of a conviction?

For a more serious crime, such as a felony, you are advised to always plead not guilty and the reason for this is because if it's a more serious offense, you've hired a lawyer. As time goes by and you get closer to the trial and you've used up all of your continuances, your lawyer will set up a meeting with the judge and a plea bargain is born. However, you can't really go any lower than petty theft because that's damn low. So on your arraignment I'd just plead guilty, he'll probably ask you if you have the money right then to pay your fine and he may give you probation. If you don't have the money on hand, in court, then he'll probably give you 30 days in jail (serve 15). Make sure that if you don't want to go to jail for the 30 day sentence but you do want to plead guilty at your arraignment, that you have enough fine money on hand because you will need to pay it on that day.

What if you don't care how much you have to pay to make it "go away"? Will what you're talking about get you a criminal record? That's a bigger problem than loss of money now because the criminal record will get your future job applications rejected.

In other words, what are the chances you can get prosecuted for petty theft as a first offense and come out of it without a record?

Well if you're convicted of petty theft, you will have a record. However, it's a misdemeanor so if you're give probation, you wait until probation is finished and you can get the arrest expunged from your record so that it won't show up again.

Do you think you could beat the petty theft charge or were you caught red-handed, as they say? Fill us in with the details if you choose.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Well, I can't fight the charge. I hired a lawyer, who told me the best I can get is diversion, and the worst is an expungeable offense. Since I'm trying to get into post-grad education and eventually become a professional, I'm worried about my one thoughtless decision haunting the rest of my life.

Naetnalta said:
Thanks for the quick responses.

Well, I can't fight the charge. I hired a lawyer, who told me the best I can get is diversion, and the worst is an expungeable offense. Since I'm trying to get into post-grad education and eventually become a professional, I'm worried about my one thoughtless decision haunting the rest of my life.

I can totally understand being upset because of one stupid mistake tainting your future. However, you're going to be just fine. Just pay the fine the judge gives you and get your lawyer to file the necessary papers to get an expungement and you're right back where you started at before this little bump in the road. But when you do become some big success, don't forget that people do make mistakes and if you're given a chance to hire someone who may have a blemish or two on their record, don't forget to give them a chance as well. Might be a good person who also made a mistake along the way in this crazy life.

Thanks for the response. I'm a very forgiving person myself, a good trait in what I'm trying to do, so I hope the law can be, too.

cmlzip

cmlzip,
You just mentioned in another thread that you are from New Orleans, too. Anything you can tell me about Jefferson Parish's treatment of shoplifting cases? Mine is a first offense, $20. The arresting sheriff's deputy wrote in his report that I brought in shopping bags intending to steal although he just assumed I did, and I had a pocket knife on my keychain that I always carry. Can those be added charges? I can tell you more and give you the name of the lawyer I hired, too. I think he will do a good job for me.

Your lawyer should be able to give you all of the correct information to the detail. Also, a great deal of sentencing for a crime depends on your age and your occupation or schooling. If you are a young fella who has been in trouble before, the judge will sometimes be harsh on you to teach you a lesson and make an example out of you.

It was my first offense (not even any traffic tickets) and I have a job, a college degree, and am applying to med school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back