Juvenile Crime Petty Theft/ Shoplifting in California (Juvenile?)

G

Hello, the other day I was caught shoplifting two items ($20+$50). While I deeply and sincerely sorry for doing so, my main concern is how much I will be charged.
While there, I overheard the officers mention "Petty theft". They then told me that because I am a minor (I turn 18 in 3 weeks) they will not take me to county. Afterwards, they proceeded to have me sign a slip of paper stating that I will show up to court and they fingerprinted me.
I will be starting college in a few weeks and will then become a broke college student. Because of this, I was wondering what fines I will face. More than anything, I do not want to burden my parents with too much and would rather spend time in jail if it means lowering the fine.
I have never been convicted of anything before and will turn 18 about a week before I need to appear in court.

What should I do? How much are lawyers? Should I get one? Can I get an expungement?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, the other day I was caught shoplifting two items ($20+$50). While I deeply and sincerely sorry for doing so, my main concern is how much I will be charged.
While there, I overheard the officers mention "Petty theft". They then told me that because I am a minor (I turn 18 in 3 weeks) they will not take me to county. Afterwards, they proceeded to have me sign a slip of paper stating that I will show up to court and they fingerprinted me.
I will be starting college in a few weeks and will then become a broke college student. Because of this, I was wondering what fines I will face. More than anything, I do not want to burden my parents with too much and would rather spend time in jail if it means lowering the fine.
I have never been convicted of anything before and will turn 18 about a week before I need to appear in court.

What should I do? How much are lawyers? Should I get one? Can I get an expungement?

Thank you!

No need to post the name of the store, where you ALLEGEDLY committed theft.

You are innocent until you plead guilty or get convicted.

So, you should first inform your parents, as you LEGALLY are a minor.
More than likely, your alleged misdeed will be addressed in an adult court, because you are a 17 year old "keeper".

You appear in court where directed, plead NOT guilty, request a public defender (or hire your own lawyer), then you STFU, using your RIGHT to remain silent.

Don't a be a fish, opening your mouth to bite that tasty looking worm, its a trap.
The state has the burden of proof and must PROVE you did whatever it is they are alleging you did.

Don't expect expungment or expunction to remove the stain of this arrest, and maybe a conviction.
That's another trap.
Don't rush this to an end, let it take its time, and that works for you.

In the interim, don't break anymore of THEIR laws.
Behave yourself, they'll leave you be, and you'll stay FREE!

Search the internet for how these cases turn out, search this forum to read more tales of woe like yours.

Be smart, don't ever allow yourself to eb tempted again, because the next time, it'll be much worse.

In cases like yours, the alleged thief will simply get a fine, pay some fees and costs, get probation (without supervision), take a class on not stealing, and the matter goes away.

You can expect to shell out anywhere from $500 to $1,000; and they'll send you a civil demand letter wanting yo to pay another $500.
No need to ask about it, wait, it'll show up in the mail and you can read all about it.
This is why you should obey THEIR laws.

Don't kid yourself, the stain will always be there, and can often hurt later job prospects.

Last edited:
You were probably given a citation with a criminal charge on it - what was that charge? I suspect it will be for a misdemeanor for PC 488 and/or PC 490.5 since the value of the items seems to be about $70. If you were cited into juvenile court, mom and dad may be notified and may be required to attend with you. It could be in your best interest to keep this in the juvenile court because you can then petition to have the record sealed once you complete probation and pay restitution (assuming you are found culpable - which in juvenile court is a "true finding.")

Your county may also have a diversion program available that will keep this from getting on your record at all ... provided you stay clear for a period of time and complete whatever program they have for you.

If this is charged as a misdemeanor (and it probably will be), then you will have the opportunity for court appointed counsel if your parents cannot afford an attorney for you.

The business may well send you a civil demand for between $50 and $500 (typically about $300). You can choose to pay it or not. But, if you do not pay it and they come after you for it, then there will be a nice civil court record available for potential employers to see and possibly a collections account on your credit report some time down the road. Whether you wish to gamble and hope they don't pursue you or not is up to you.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. There isnt much I can add to CDWJava's post except when you go to court plead not guilty and hire a Lawyer or request public defender. When you meet this Lawyer ask about Diversion as plea option. Here also are some useful link sin regards to Civil Fine (Civil Demand) mentioned earlier and how there can be long term consequences for you and possibly your parents if you fail to pay

http://www.parentnook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=3934

http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59980

http://retailtheftexpert.wix.com/retail-theft-answers#!faq/corv

You were probably given a citation with a criminal charge on it - what was that charge? I suspect it will be for a misdemeanor for PC 488 and/or PC 490.5 since the value of the items seems to be about $70. If you were cited into juvenile court, mom and dad may be notified and may be required to attend with you. It could be in your best interest to keep this in the juvenile court because you can then petition to have the record sealed once you complete probation and pay restitution (assuming you are found culpable - which in juvenile court is a "true finding.")

Your county may also have a diversion program available that will keep this from getting on your record at all ... provided you stay clear for a period of time and complete whatever program they have for you.

If this is charged as a misdemeanor (and it probably will be), then you will have the opportunity for court appointed counsel if your parents cannot afford an attorney for you.

The business may well send you a civil demand for between $50 and $500 (typically about $300). You can choose to pay it or not. But, if you do not pay it and they come after you for it, then there will be a nice civil court record available for potential employers to see and possibly a collections account on your credit report some time down the road. Whether you wish to gamble and hope they don't pursue you or not is up to you.

Thank you for the quick reply!
Does it make a difference if charge is 484(a) P.C?

Thank you for the quick reply!
Does it make a difference if charge is 484(a) P.C?

PC 484 is merely the definition for theft. Some counties have the officers charge this so that the DA can make the determination as to which of the petty theft or shoplifting offenses they might wish to charge. The end result should be the same - a charge for petty theft/shoplifting per PC 488 or PC 490.5.

In your case, since you have to go to court, you will have opportunity to discuss the matter with a private attorney or the public defender. They will be able to tell you exactly what to expect.
You are not going to get jail time. It simply won't happen even if you beg for it. Expect fines. The amount of the fines is anyone's guess.
Do not fail to show up for court or things will get much messier.

Back