Personal Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmsmack99

My wages were recently garnished (of course I found out on payday) after my employer faxed me the documents that were served to them, I noticed my social security number on the paperwork was incorrect, so actually they couldn't garnish my income since in all reality the person with the social security number on the paperwork did not exist. I brought this to HR's attention, they told me that my social security # was just transposed on the paperwork, this is a SEVEN year old deb,. I informed HR that this company had been trying to collect from me for years but have been unable to do so since they do not have accurate information. When my HR dept called me back to tell me the wages that they kept would be sent to me, she also informed me that the debt collector would be serving the paperwork again in a week, with my CORRECT INFORMATION, my HR department gave them my social security number and my home address. Is this leagal, is there anything I can do?

If your employer was served with what they believe to be a valid court-ordered garnishment, then they're obligated to withhold the wages as directed. It's not up to your employer to go to court and fight the court order on your behalf becasue there is a typo on it.

You're certainly free to go to court and make your argument before a judge as to why you shouldn't be required to pay the creditor however.

You shiould not be mad at your employer. Apparantly this creditor received a judgemjent against you. So if you lost the case or chose to ignore the summons to appear, they can file for a writ of garnishment.

Ignoring a debt does not make it go away. This company could have tracked you down anyways via your credit report most likely.

Duranie, it's easier for the poster to be angry with her employer than it is to acknowledge that she's been dodging this debt for seven years and now it's finally caught up with her.

Oh heck just quit your job as they all are talking about you at the water cooler anyway. It will take the dept. collector at least another couple years to find you again.

All of these companies have skip tracers that find people. If he/she actually dodged a bullet this whole time they are lucky. You would have to remain unemployed, or avoid being W2'd to be located but they can pull random credit reports and find you eventually. If they cannot get their whole judgement via garnishment then they will file a lien.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back