Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Person stole & attempted to deposit someone's COVID relief check. How do I report/provide evidence?

Stanleyfield

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
While organizing my storage space, I came across a bag someone who I was once close to gave me when returning an item.

I guess they forgot to remove some paperwork at the bottom of the bag and I found a deposit denial notification addressed to them.

It noted a reverse for a 1200 dollar sum from their account following a deposit. The reason for denial was that the name stated on the pay to order portion didn't match the endorsement signature. A copy of said check was attached; it was an economic relief payment check from someone who previously lived in the apartment this ex-acquaintance was living in.

Would this be considered check fraud or attempt to commit check fraud? If not, what applicable crime would this be characterized as?

What federal and/or state authority can I refer this matter to? Can it be done anonymously? This person has criminal associations and I don't wish to be subject to their potential reprisals.

Do you know the payee on the check? If so, why not let him/her know about this and leave it to him/her to deal with it?

If you really want to do something, call your local FBI office.

Would this be considered check fraud or attempt to commit check fraud? If not, what applicable crime would this be characterized as?

Tell your story to someone at your local law enforcement agency.

A law enforcement official will be happy to investigate your discovery.

Back