penilty for title jumping

Promo2110

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I was charged with a crime after somebody title jumped a car title in Iowa. I did nothing wrong. What is the penilty for Title Jumping in Iowa? Is it a Felony?

I was charged with a crime after somebody title jumped a car title in Iowa. I did nothing wrong. What is the penilty for Title Jumping in Iowa? Is it a Felony?

I graduated from one of Iowa's two law schools a few weeks err YEARS, err decades ago! :D

If I recall correctly, I try to keep up with Iowa law, title jumping is treated as a minor offense, a citation and maximum $500 fine.

I suggest you visit a lawyer near you and ask him or her to be sure.

Usually most lawyers in Iowa, especially the rural areas will offer a free consultation to discuss your case.

You get between 15-30 minutes to ask questions and learn what could happen.

I was charged with a crime after somebody title jumped a car title in Iowa.

What crime? What code?

I did nothing wrong.

My guess is that you did not put your buyer's name on the title as transferee. So, yes, you did do something wrong, likely failing to comply with:

Certificate of title must be executed.
1. No person, except as provided in sections 321.23 and 321.45, and section 321.52, subsection 2, paragraph "b", shall sell or otherwise dispose of a registered vehicle or a vehicle subject to registration without delivering to the purchaser or transferee thereof a certificate of title with such assignment thereon as may be necessary to show title in the purchaser.

2016 Iowa Code :: Title VIII - TRANSPORTATION :: Chapter 321 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND LAW OF THE ROAD :: Section 321.67 - Certificate of title must be executed.

That section refers to 805.8A, subsection 2 for the fine:

2016 Iowa Code :: Title XVI - CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE :: Chapter 805 - CITATIONS IN LIEU OF ARREST :: Section 805.8A - Motor vehicle and transportation scheduled violations.

Which is $100 per sub-paragraph "p".

Whether there are court fees or surcharges on top of that is something you can find out from the court.

If something else is happening, you'll tell us, won't you?

Zigner, it's the same topic and the thread's already been reopened. Makes no sense at all to start another thread with the same question.

Would you happen to know the equivalent statue in New Jersey, or know someone who might to whom you could refer me?

I don't know if there is a criminal statute in NJ but there are specific regulations in the vehicle and traffic code for transferring ownership of vehicles. Those procedures can be found on the DMV website. If you don't follow the exact procedure (which does not allow for title jumping or open title) you could end up with penalties and additional fees to do it over and you might get sued by a buyer if you created a title problem.

There is a statute.

Section: 2C:21-4.8: Motor vehicle title offenses, grading.

2. a. A person who purposely or knowingly violates a provision of chapter 10 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes, for which a specific penalty is not provided in that chapter or this section, shall be guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

b. A person who purposely or knowingly commits the following violations of chapter 10 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes shall be guilty of a crime of the third degree:

(1) Makes a misrepresentation or false statement in any title papers or other papers submitted to the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission in connection therewith;

(2) Purchases, receives or obtains a motor vehicle on a title paper in violation of chapter 10 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes;

(3) Forges, changes or counterfeits a part of title papers;

(4) Misrepresents a number placed on a motor vehicle by the manufacturer, or in any other manner misrepresents the description of a motor vehicle; or

(5) Uses title papers on or for a wrong motor vehicle, with intent to evade or violate the requirements of chapter 10 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes.

L.2003,c.217,s.2.

39:10-1. Short title
This chapter may be known and cited as the "motor vehicle certificate of ownership law."

Amended by L.1946, c. 136, p. 622, s. 1.

Last edited:
Back